Odyssey

Discussion in 'ETERNAL DAY' started by Vicvic91, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

image.jpeg

ODYSSEY

Missions

image.jpeg

Clones Saved
    Add your own Clone Counts into the Clone Saving Spreadsheet

2. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

Someone must be in a really bad mood when they chose the missions for this level. They are hard as hell! :eek:

Also, I'm also unhappy with the missions chosen. In order to save 30+ clones or collect all powerups, one must explore the level a bit more, thus discovering the secrets. I believe this will spoil the fun for us clone savers who like to go beyond the norm and find those ways to save more clones.

Basically, these missions cannot be completed by your average Joe; they definitely need video gameplay help to complete them. Even then, completing them is REALLY HARD.

I don't know what Vicvic feels, but I think it is much more rewarding to discover those secrets that most average Joes won't even see yourself. Now with these missions most people who would go for the missions will discover them. I do admit even though I didn't discover these secrets through playing the level, when I did discover them, the level was significantly more fun.

By the way, how do you collect all powerups? The part with the cogwheel; how do you turn off both lasers after that?

Vicvic91 likes this.
  3. Vicvic91

Hey @FBI Light Rock !

Those 3 missions are just perfect for this level !
    It's a little challenging, like in a Dusk level, but steel possible if you take time to understand your Odyssey :)

You need to discover the 3 principal ways that this level can be played. Don't be focused on the secrets, keep just the original mechanism in mind. :)

Odyssey it's like a temple : you can visit it speedly, try to play those mecanism zones and then, discover new zones !

. 1st way : survive in 1 try
    Try to know all the traps and all the mechanism in the level : there is an easy way to pass them in each part.
    When you will know the best way to choose, it's very simple !
    If you need, try to collect only 2 small powerups to get help on that, but no matter if you avoid some powerups, I'm sure you will run in 1 try finger in the noise :)

. 2nd way : collect all powerups
    This is the funny, because you need to pass more time on each part to understand "how they run".
    There is mechanisms in this levels, but in you 1st try you don't have activate them.
    That you need to discover is "how to get those multi clones at the final part of the level ?"
    How can you disable those 3 lasers and get the final multiclones powerups ?
    With this mission, you will discover there is a way to "unlock powerups" that seems to be impossible to get.

.3rd way : save 30 clones
    If you can unlock the 2 powerups at the final, this mission is very easy !
    Try to keep smaller as you can, and you will get this mission.

Then, there is the 4th way you discovered in Editor : secrets !
    There is a lot of "alternative ways" for those players that want to save more clones.
    And a reward for that : save 80+ more clones.
    But that way is tricky, and you need to discover how it's possible to get that !

Finally, I'm very happy with those 3 missions.
    It's not easy as the others Eternal Day level, it's not doomsday as in Metalpark.

I love them because as in the original games they are not unlocked in just a run !
    You will need to play and replay my level if you want to get all the missions, and that's cool ! <3

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Super zwerver and Straitorden like this.
  4. FBI Light Rock

Phew...that's a lot of information to absorb.

I really cannot comprehend your amazing ideas on how to make such levels with SO MUCH replayability! I think I have so much to learn from you, Vicvic. :)

Looks like I need to study and play your levels more!

Vicvic91 likes this.
  5. Straitorden

Straitorden Well-Known Member

Great level, Vicvic91! Stylish and complicated

<|-|!<0 and Vicvic91 like this.
  6. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

I think is the complete opposite Light Rock, finally a level where the missions are hard. It's been a while since i finished a level and still had to do the missions.

Still have to get all powerups, really hard. Awesome level though, congrats on getting another level on eternal day Vicvic you rascal!

Vicvic91 likes this.
  7. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

I never even thought about opening in editor, and i already discovered the secret to collect that tricky superclone powerup, and i must say you are amazing.

Vicvic91 likes this.
  8. Vicvic91

It's just a logic system, ahah :)
    I'm happy to see that you enjoy play and replay my levels.

That's the best gratitude !

Super zwerver likes this.
  9. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

I have a question though...

What does that button on the timed lasers section do? The one below?

10. Vicvic91

It help you getting a possibility to save 100+ clones :)

But this way is tricky, it's the 5th way, a doomsday possibility !

11. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

But what the button does exactly? I didn't notice any difference at all.

12. Vicvic91

It put off a laser :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  13. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

Lol yeah i realized that right after i asked. So dumb

Vicvic91 likes this.
  14. Vicvic91

Great job @<|-|!<0, this is a nice run !

15. FBI Light Rock

Wow! Now I see the clone saving potential in this level. Time to bring out the clone saviour in me! :mrgreen:

Hint hint @<|-|!<0, there's another 2 more secrets to discover. (I think there's a 3rd one too, but not sure how much that will change. Vicvic, that one has to do with colliding with the environment) One will make the level a lot easier (and probably dave more clones), the other will help but seeing your run, it doesn't seem that it will help you that much.

Happy hunting! :)

Super zwerver likes this.
  16. Vicvic91

And missing two more "secret" to get 100+ clones :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  17. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

So many secrets1 Vicvic is the Shyamalan of games, so many twists i can't keep it up.

I played this level so many times already not sure i can save more than 76.

I would like to catch the drift of the first part of your level, and the level confinement by pahannes, to indicate an awesome game called "Laser Hell" which is a very fun hell.

My score is 193, how long can you stay alive?

Vicvic91 likes this.
  18. Vicvic91

Laser Hell is horrible ! My score is just 53, and I want to kill the game ! ;(

image.jpeg

Today it's time to reveal a secret on Odyssey : a 2nd way to play the level and a hint to save more clones !
    Like in Laser Hell, try to survive longer in the 1st part ! :)

Enjoy ! :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  19. blwm

blwm Member

Just wanted to thank you for another fantastic level, Vicvic. Easily my favourite on Eternal Day, surpassing your two other levels + Boss Fight:) I think your levels really capture the spirit of what I love about the original game: Hidden depths, strong concepts and internal logic - not just a random series of evil traps (evil, evil metalparke!) - and lots and lots of clones for those willing to put in the hours:)

Anyway, I think I've discovered another secret I haven't seen mentioned here before. Not to give too much away, but turning off the lasers at the beginning makes the ending a little bit easier;) But until i figure out how I once actually managed to stop the two cubes near the ending, my clone count is safely stuck at 69...

I guess I'll keep playing anyway:)

20. FBI Light Rock

I personally think that Vicvic surpasses Frogmind in terms of level creation - you don't exactly see as much secrets or multi paths in the official levels.

What I also love is the placement of objects as well - designed to lose some clones on the way, which is in my opinion, one of the key aspects of BADLAND, the need to sacrifice some clones as you progress.

To be fair, Metalparke isn't a random spam of obstacles. But the obstacles are too hard! I actually liked the first part where you had to use the floating beams to dislodge the ball and shake the laser. Bones and Ice is an awesome level maker, but I feel he's moving to making more and more extreme levels instead (Compare the newer levels to Splintered, one of his first levels), so unlike our Vicvic who really makes a level accommodated to ALL types of players.

Too bad I took the wrong approach to making levels...by trying to introduce a new mechanic.