[iOS] BADLAND 2 Thoughts?

Discussion in 'SUPPORT & SUGGESTIONS' started by FBI Light Rock, Dec 18, 2015.

1. MisterM

MisterM Elite Member

oh noes! i had a similar idea for when the editor woud come out, but i still cant wait

2. MisterM

MisterM Elite Member

al the sudden this looks like an indie horror game, just look at these faces ub the bg.
    still awesome :D

3. 18111398

18111398 Elite Member

So Vicvic you've got the early access to Sci-fi levels? I haven't found that update in App Store.

Vicvic91 likes this.
  4. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

@Miikka not asking for a confirmation of BL2 level editor, but, if there were one, would it still have a "camera follows clone" option, instead of the usual clone follows camera?

5. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

Plop, again ! :)

barnadvisor, 18111398 and MisterM like this.
  6. 18111398

18111398 Elite Member

Jmyllys is another beta tester?
    Somehow it's unfair that the beta version supports Game Center! Now you are invincible on leaderboard until the game updated:)
    For the new type of clone... I guess that it ignores gravity? Sounds wonderful! Looking forward to these awesome new levels.
    By the way Vicvic you are now the Forum Moderator? Congrats!:)
    A question by the end: Does the new version fix the bugs such as the one in Stop?

7. Vicvic91

You can found Juhanna Myllys in the credit of Badland 2.
    And yep, Stop will be fixed in the next update. :)

18111398 likes this.
  8. Pizzaandy

Pizzaandy Elite Member Beta tester

In terms of gameplay, I think Badland 2 is fantastic, taking memorable moments from Badland and adding fresh new challenges. What I'm missing, however, is the storytelling aspect. A big part of Badland 1 to me was the mystery of what was going on in the world. What was that robot eye thing? What the crap was that thing at the end of Day 2? With Badland 2, the only points of interest are a couple of rabbits and the never-changing floating robot things. In my opinion, Badland 2 has fun gameplay, but the first playthrough lacked the sense of adventure and danger found in Badland 1.

9. Vicvic91

image.jpeg

You will found some clues in the next Badland 2 update... coming in 2 days ! :)

18111398 likes this.
  10. Vicvic91

There is something freaky coming in Twitter... :o

11. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

INFINITY is out!!!

I must say, FrogMind really outdid themselves with this pack. I really like the green/purple time freeze beams, grollvity clony, and of course the AI robots, although I feel like both of those had a lot more potential. Maybe the time freeze beams could freeze the AI so you could get a power up before it got stolen? I don't know. It was still really well done the way it was, though.

One question I have is about Grollvity clony. How is it actually different than standard Rolly? It feels like it handles differently, but I can't really describe it, which really irks me. Could someone explain it on a more technical level?

Vicvic91 likes this.
  12. Mirroga

Mirroga New Member

It felt like the new ball transformation provides less gravity penalties (much more floaty rather than grounded) and also capabilities to steer yourself when airborne (during the long freefall portion with multiple teleporters, I was able to turn left or right if I hold a certain direction long enough). The less gravity penalties really helped during the climbing portions where you need to balance yourself in circular debris or saws. Oh yes, they're also invulnerable to saws.

Verdict is, they're like a combined version of the flying and round and immune to saws.

I loved the Replicants. They have the same capabilities of transformation (even moreso because they can turn into saws) and power-up usage (they steal your powerups) and their aim is to kill you. Even if their forms are not lethal in nature, they will steer you to death. First time there has been an actual enemy in Badland other than the environment. That final part of the final level of Infinity was heartpounding. And the middle portions of the final level (following AND babysitting the circular prop) is ingenious. Cannot wait to go for the achievements of each stage. Still have not finished the achievements of Inferno though :(

Considering Badland 2's stage settings are no longer tied to seasons/days/nights, here's hoping that they continue on with possible future stages which are thematically and gameplay-wise unique. But considering what I experienced in Infinity, it is hard to top that.

I just love Badland 2 compared to the original. Sure, it lost the local multiplayer aspect of the game. But the more refined controls (can go left or right), the flow of each stage (unhindered by sidescrolling on one direction), and the themes are just way too good. If they really can't add local multiplayer options due to controls, here's hoping they allow players to make their own levels like the original.

13. 18111398

18111398 Elite Member

OMG, I almost forget that I have homework to do...
    I can't wait anymore to play the new world!

14. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

With everyone writing their reviews for the new Infinity Level Update, allow me to voice out mine!

Overall, this update is totally awesome! The number of new mechanics introduced were tons, and they felt fresh enough to make it like an all-new expansion pack. Once again, the levels feel like they are impossible at first, especially to one try them, but over time, you know it's just a hurdle ahead to overcome!

The new mechanics are awesome! We see the return of the laser from BADLAND 1 Night, a much "hated" obstacle :mrgreen: we all come to love in our quests for missions and clones.

The new Alien Rolly Clony is different enough from its original counterpart, but yet I find it not TOO different enough to still understand it. It took me a little time to learn how to properly control this clony (especially in BEYOND!) Once you mastered it, it feels natural again, not too much different from the original one. I played back STOP to get the one try which was previously bugged, and I had no problems at all. In fact, I only retried ONCE! So yeah, I feel it's a good variation from the original Rolly Clony. The planets are awesome! To ability to manuveur around the planet was nice. It's nice to know that the planets have gravity instead of simply gluing to Clony too. :)

The strange new time area trigger time freeze; that was pretty awesome too! But...a little underused for now. Freezing and unfreezing time without pressing buttons make BADLAND like some kind of comic strip, heh. :mrgreen:

And oh the...replicants as what Frogmind seem to call them. These guys are bloody irritating :mrgreen: and monstrous! They will seriously chase you to the end of the earth! (Or maybe, space :mrgreen:) These guys love playing pushing games and will screw around with your flying. And those with the saws...ahhhhhhhh!!! Time to run and dodge!

On to the levels itself...

BEYOND was a nice race level, lots of different hurdles to overcome using the new Alien Rolly Clony. I did realize the lasers like to pair with the freeze beams...weird choice considering both will kill you anyway (most of the time) o_O

PURPLE RAY. The very first part with sticky objects was a total pain in the ass the very first time I played this level (I retried at least 20 times, I believe), and then subsequently I usually breeze through it. Weird me. :mrgreen: Either way, I don't find this level very special to me, plus the last part to save the clones is a bit BEYOND me (haha that reference lol :mrgreen:) for now.

BEAM ME UP

PLANETS. Awesome! The first part where the rocket launches is a cool start to the level. Other than that, the planet mechanics used here are really cool! Last part not so cool though...I can't avoid those Big powerups...:(

CIRCLE OF DEATH is a pretty nice clone saving level, but the first part really tears my clones apart! I shall seek some help on that first part haha. The main part in clone saving is the freeze beam part, which has this hard-to-access small powerup just before it, making this a difficult operation not to let frozen clones drop and hit the propellers to get the Time Speed Up powerups. It's crazy but I personally like this challenge.

REPLICANTS. Oh no, here comes those annoying replicants. Here to irritate you at many places. But they are fun to get rid of! I like to tease them when they get stucked. :mrgreen: They get trapped and left behind, as well as being sawed like your own Clonys. But it's unfair they can't get zapped! Lol. But the little replicants that flap like your Clony are pretty cute! While those saw replicants are just pure evil...

CLONE MAYHEM. At first I just thought this was a normal clone saving speedrun level, but when I was going for the last mission, I started thinking of easier ways to get it. And so I tried dodging the Big & Fast powerups, and hey, this level just got a whole lot more fun in dodging those powerups! I also like the lids used to cover the lasers, like the lid used to stop the hot sauce in SUPERSONIC. Lots of potential in clone saving here, I can see how Vicvic got 220+ clones. :)

ISSUES. I haven't played this level very much yet, but it's quite an unusual level for me.

ESC. Unfortunately, this is my least favourite level. In the whole of BADLAND 2, possibly so. It's a speedrun so one try is definite. Firstly, there's the round portals with superclone powerups attached to it for no purpose at all because the saws will kill them all. Then the next few parts are pretty much useless because you can only get ONE clone past to the final part due to the homing laser. And...the last part. A frustrating hot sauce dripper which spams droplets everywhere, making it so hard to dodge them. 12 clones was quite a pain. I was lucky and got 22 clones somehow by a little lucky dodging using speed control. I'm probably not going to play this level again. It's pretty lame.

AGE MOVER. I haven't tried this level again, but it offered a good challenge the first time. The part that got me stuck horribly was the rolling contraption that you had to use to get past the lasers and the freeze beams, because I was dumb to let the rolling thingy drop to its death and pondered how to press that button. I even attempted to use frozen clones to press it to no avail. :mrgreen: As Mirroga explained, the last part was crazy with all those saw replicants chasing Clonys. Strangely my heart didn't pump so fast, but I did tell myself "Run for it!!!" :mrgreen: And damn it, soooooo close to getting 10 clones for the mission. Damn!

Overall, I want to say the update is awesome. The experience felt fresh again, the same thing I experienced when I first got BADLAND 2. I shall wonder how long will it take for me to get all those eggs...:mrgreen: And i hope to continue some clone saving after that as well! So long I finish Hexangonal first. So "To Be Continued"? Wow, what's next for us, Frogmind? :)

18111398, Hj326 and Vicvic91 like this.
  15. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

Suggestion:
    What if there was a mode in which you play as the replicants, and your goal is to delay clony for X number of minutes? As maybe an online thing or something.

<|-|!<0 and Vicvic91 like this.
  16. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

Awesome update, nuff said. I still barely got familiar with it.... Infinity can be explored deep, as it did vicvic already.

Great and scary experience, thanks Frogmind.

18111398 and Vicvic91 like this.
  17. Vicvic91

A Bad Piggies version of Badland ! :p

MisterM and Hj326 like this.
  18. Pizzaandy

The whole "AI" thing in the update description got me hyped, but 'AI' turned out to be simple followers...
    That's about it in terms of negativity for me! Great update!
    That white rabbit is plotting to kill us all...

19. Mirroga

Mirroga New Member

I can understand that you might've thought of intelligent, adapting environmental hazards. But having those Replicants actually steer you in different ways is a very fresh and scary hazard. Here's hoping the "To be continued" levels will have much more intelligent usage out of them.

I failed to mention the environment itself. Even if the background has been grayed out to show desolate lifelessness, I can see that it is different from the previous worlds. There's....organic growths as if the mechanical spires look more like vines. Sometimes I can even see the background dripping its own wastes. Must be those radioactive ones that keep spraying.

And also that white Rabbit is scarier than any of the Badland 1 robots that keep activating in the background.

20. Pizzaandy

What if the white rabbit is trying to help you? After escaping the nasty little saw things, you enter a hollow area full of life, where the white rabbit is above the time machine comet. The white rabbit is trying to find a better place for the clones to live?
    Also, I noticed a lack of flying machines in the background. Is nature fighting against the machines from Badland 1?

FBI Light Rock likes this.