Saw joints

Discussion in 'LEVEL EDITOR' started by ABMP100, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ABMP100

ABMP100 Member

I'm trying to apply a linear joint to a saw, but when I do so, the saw stops turning and still won't move along the joint path. Am I missing something? I made sure to enable the motor and select the saw as the jointed object.

Thanks.

2. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

Did you remove the rotate joint from the saw? Ensure its there. Ensure the Unattached property of the rotate joint is On.

3. ABMP100

ABMP100 Member

I turned on the unattached property of the saw's rotate joint. The saw now movess along the linear joint but does not rotate.

4. Sheepy

Sheepy Well-Known Member

This might be unneccesarily complex, but what I do is I keep the rotation joint the same, and use the rigid joint to attach the saw to a ball, and use the linear joint on the ball. Hope that helps

5. ABMP100

ABMP100 Member

This also seems not to work. The saw rotates but does not follow the joint path. I have ensured that physics are enabled and collisions are disabled on both the saw and the ball. I have also tried changing which of the two jointed objects is attached to the rigid joint first, which seems to have no effect.

6. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

CUBE MAN OFFICIAL Penguin Clony

You need to spin the saw around an object(you need to tinker with it)*, enable the object Physics On, and use a linear joint on that new one.

*In depth, make the saw not a contraption, move the "sound" event away, select the rotation joint and joint it to the object, not just the saw that is default.

It OK if you don't do it on the first try. It took like a few months for me to guess how to do it.

7. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

That's what I do, something like that is in my Disfunction project, so you can try it later.

8. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

no, no. Not the rigid joint, the rotation joint.

9. Sheepy

Sheepy Well-Known Member

Ok, I think I did that wrong. Instead of using a rigid joint, put the ball in the second slot of the rotate joint, so that the saw will rotate around the ball. Then you can use the linear joint on the ball. I think that will work.

10. ABMP100

ABMP100 Member

Thanks to both Sheepy and CUBE MAN OFFICIAL - Finally got it working. Last question - Any way to make sure the saw is and the ball have the same center point? The rotation joint makes it spin a little wonky.

11. Sheepy

Sheepy Well-Known Member

Sadly, there is not a good way to do that... :(

One trick I use is to make the ball the same size as the saw, and get them to line up nicely, and then make the ball tiny, but you can only get it almost perfect.

12. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

I can't do it, just rely on your senses:)

13. ABMP100

ABMP100 Member

Alright, for some reason I can't turn off gravity on the ball, and it seems to just be falling now. I can't figure out what I'm screwing up. I have made sure the gravity button is unchecked on the ball.

14. ABMP100

ABMP100 Member

Additionally, I'm trying to use a distance variable to relate the object's translation to the player. I can't get it to stay in one place - it has significant sway even as it nears the player's vertical height.

15. Sheepy

Sheepy Well-Known Member

Is it also unchecked on the saw?

16. ABMP100

ABMP100 Member

Yep. Only problem is the distance variable now. It is currently the signed vertical distance between the ball and the avatar and is linked to the motor speed on the linear joint.

17. ABMP100

ABMP100 Member

Alright, this is being super weird. The saw will no longer rotate around the ball unless the ball is not touching the saw. i have disabled collisions on both and unchecked objects collide on the rotate joint.

EDIT: WTF IS HAPPENING. I remade it and now it magically works...

18. ABMP100

ABMP100 Member

Alright, found that problem. For some reason it will only rotate around the ball if physics are disabled on the ball or it is jointed. In short, I removed the joint to ensure everything was functional, and it broke everything.

The distance variable is still broken. It seems to be acting like a sine curve instead.

19. ABMP100

ABMP100 Member

Oh, that's interesting. I figured out why the distance is broken. It seems like because the ball and saw rotate physically, the distance is measured with regard to orientation (ie the ball being face up would give a distance of +x and the ball being face down would give a distance of -x). I have no clue how to fix this. Any ideas?

20. 4522405DASH

4522405DASH Hypercloner

Thanks! I've checked to this article and it really helped! :)