Weekend Challenges

Discussion in 'FROGMIND'S CHOICE & CONTESTS' started by Flamingjazz, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Flamingjazz

Flamingjazz Hardcore Gamer Moderator

Good Morning to some!
    As part of trying to spread some love to the Badland community, I am going to host a weekend challenge as often as I am capable of doing so. In cooperation with Frogmind staff @Vicvic91, we want to do a spotlight system of the best levels of the Level world semi frequently and those who make the spotlight will have a good chance of having their level be the next eternal day level!

So here are the rules for the weekly challenges:

****You Do Not Need To Be a Member of This Badland Forums to participate!! Although it’s recommended that you do, of course. This is for any of you who want to participate and happen to hear about this! Tell it to your friends and relatives that play!*****

—Challenge starts as soon as I post it on Thursday nights local time.
    —All level editors welcome! This won’t necessarily be spread on Facebook all the time, so follow this thread to keep up with the latest!
    —Submissions must complete the certain requirements listed. Levels CAN be levels you have been working on for a while, but they won’t be accepted if they don’t meet the requirements.
    —Levels must be submitted using the hashtag of the challenge in order for Flamingjazz and/or the judge of the week to find the levels easier!
    —Levels chosen are at the discretion of the weekly judge. Plagiarism of others levels in order to win is not cool, and will not be accepted.
    —Levels must be submitted by the date posted. Dates may vary in length according to difficulty of the challenge but will generally be between 1-2 weeks, and no longer.
    —in order for your level to be more likely seen, you may always advertise your level through the post “Promote your Levels here”.

—5 of the best Levels will be chosen by Flamingjazz or the week’s judge, and spotlighted here on the forums on a “Level Spotlight” thread for everyone to check out! And if the levels meet up to Eternal Day technical qualifications (e.g. there is a possible set of 3 challenges to qualify for eggs, there are no bugs, and the level is quality enough overall) the 5 spotlighted Levels have a chance to be accepted to be in Eternal Day! (Note: Eternal Day Levels are up to Frogminds Discretion, particularly @Vicvic91, however, he is supporting this)

Are you all ready!? :)
    D69C1118-EC57-4E0C-8DDD-431D46F444A2.jpeg

n0phun and Vicvic91 like this.
  2. Flamingjazz

FIRST CHALLENGE:

5 year of Badland have gone by and we’re going back to the basics! Remember back in the day when you breezed through Day 1 Dawn? Remember the startle of the swinging vines, the up and down through rocks, and the giant boulder that almost crushes you Indiana Jones style?

Following all guidelines above, this weekends challenge for those who are up for it, is that your level should be a remake using any of the Day 1 Dawn templates and making it better or more exciting. Without completely redoing the level, but more of adding on, embellishing, and making better, can you reinvent the first excitement that you had when you played the game, only this time adapted to what you know now?

Submit your levels with #B2B (Back to the basics) in your level titles by Monday April 16 ( a little extra time since y’all need to see this article for the first time) for a chance to have your level spotlighted and enter Eternal Day! :)
    Lets go!
    7AAC1E5A-A77B-4874-A27D-E7187490A037.jpeg

Ping @Vavje (from @Vicvic91)

Vavje likes this.
  3. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

Baksbrown likes this.
  4. Well, I guess it sounds cool. Unfortunately, I have more schoolwork nowadays. You might have to wait a few weeks for me to come up with something that I deem acceptable.

5. Flamingjazz

Ok! There will be more challenges to come. Perhaps you could start working on a level that you could tweak for a future challenge when ite not so specific like this challenge is

CUBE MAN OFFICIAL 2 likes this.
  6. Pierre Miguel Gayo

Pierre Miguel Gayo Elite Member

AKAI2002 likes this.
  7. Flamingjazz

https://badland.app.link/pNnqVq4Z0L

@Everyone this is a level I have completed as an example of this challenge! Check out “Unnatural” by Flamingjazz
    #B2B
    Can you tell what the original level is?
    8D01C521-E489-4B8A-890A-51C6819D1C14.png

8. n0phun

n0phun Master of Disaster Moderator

Not from the picture, but easily after playing it. D1 Dawn.

Flamingjazz likes this.
  9. Vavje

Vavje Clone Master Beta tester

Nice idea. Gonna try.

10. Vavje

Oops !
    Stuck at this checkpoint. Can’t open it when pushed. D99110F5-176C-4557-87D9-0A3D3D9640A6.png

11. Flamingjazz

Go at it from the top not the bottom @Vavje the needle thing will have physics activated if you just fly above it.

12. Vavje

Dumb I am. Thanks.

13. Flamingjazz

Here’s an idea for a contest for some who want to try:
    Check out my latest level “Toggle” (see Promote Your Levels Here for the link). Note the simple white background and the style of black on white level. Isn’t it fun how it messes with you when it switches from black to white to black?
    I am creating a template, it will be posted on the level world within a few hours that you can use. The contest is to create a level (at least 20M long?) using simple shapes and the white background or black background or switching between both (ideally) to create a stylistic fun level. It’s about the art you can come up with really.
    In a day or two, I will follow up here and post tips so that life can be a lot easier for those who have little to no experience to help save time (so you don’t take forever).

How long do you think? A couple of weeks?
    I will also participate for fun, and the judges is everyone, we all will vote on the ones we like. Be creative and have fun with it! It should be relatively easier because you will not have to worry much about the background or also not having to make it too complicated, as per the style of level.

I will have the template up soon and will tag you all again in discord, and for those of you who want to participate that I don’t know, come! Participate! Should be fun. I’ll update this post too. Everyone’s welcome including Nophun and all the rest of you forums dwellers. :)

Salamandrake and n0phun like this.
  14. Vavje

It sounds gooooooood !

15. Vavje

Nice idea. I just tried this white background in one of my level. Pretty. I feel like doing update of it.

16. Flamingjazz

I would almost say don’t do an update of my level because the file is corrupted already, and I’m worried it will give you more pain than it’s worth.

17. Flamingjazz

Salamandrake and Vavje like this.
  18. Flamingjazz

Tutorial can be found here!
    In this tutorial, I will show you how to create a simple switch that activates a laser (if you’ve never made one before, now you know!) and it also turns the background into black.
    I didn’t put into the video on how to change it back to white but it’s the same exact thing just with the other =1, so hopefully you get it.
    I plan to post a couple more basic tutorials, but if you are still confused, there are many tutorials here on this Forums that are made by other players and Frogmind officials themselves. These tutorials are amazing and worth watching. The reason I’m making some tutorials is because it is taking these concepts and tying them directly into our level we are making here for the informal contest, and hopefully it makes it easier to see! :)

Have fun: tutorial part 1 attached here
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-RyIVtymP4oUtDhUsda-nteExXXdFo6jhW0YHjQTYAc

Salamandrake likes this.
  19. Salamandrake

Salamandrake New Member

Here is my first level, “Shadows”: https://badland.app.link/HJ6tIjxKaO

Thank you for the really interesting contest and the tutorial,I love the black and white concept!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Vicvic91, Flamingjazz and n0phun like this.
  20. Vavje

OK, well...
    Flamingjazz, your competition was so good for one of my old levels that I did not resist to change it in black & white. I’m so sorry.
    I prefer it now as such. Of course, I took care to include a few scenes in black screen.
    Yes, it's lazy, but it allows me to come back gently in the manufacturing of levels.
    It feels good.
    Here is the link of « Monolith » :
    https://badland.app.link/neI7oskVnO

n0phun, Flamingjazz and Salamandrake like this.