Domino

Discussion in 'DAY II' started by Ben Thumbs, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Ben Thumbs

Ben Thumbs Clone Master Moderator

[​IMG]

DOMINO

Missions

[​IMG]

Clones Saved

Add your own Clone Counts into the Clone Saving Spreadsheet >>HERE<<

Playthrough

Note: This is just a simple "Survive with one try" playthrough to show off this level here in the Badlands Forum.

2. grandmort

grandmort Elite Member Moderator

One of my favorite DAY II - NIGHT level, very well balanced.

Some really interesting work can be done on this level. Ogster, I was just about to post this last night and talk about it, now I just saw your 43 on there (!!!) - I KNEW IT!

You guys are going to laugh but only last night did I realize for the first time how to (properly) block the rolling gravity trigger and therefore pass small and on my way to the end. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I enter the last part with 37 so far, but the gears still manage to screw me up 9 times out of 10 (easy to avoid the last accelerator if coming with one clone, and the gears go away, but that gives us only a 31, not good enough!). ;)

A few interesting things I was able to do:
    -The rolling part where you barely escape lasers turning on one after the other: I was able to pass it once in one size smaller than default (very difficult).
    -The same part: I was able to avoid the enlarger at the exit twice (very difficult).
    -Right after that you multiply and grow crazy and enter a narrow passage with reducer, rollers and time slowers. The first time slower can be avoided, not sure yet if it makes a real difference for the end of the level (medium difficulty).

3. Wheat1328

Wheat1328 Ultimate Survivor Moderator

grandmort - have you beat this level in 1 try yet? Start there, you'll learn the secret. ;)

I haven't gone back to improve yet as I'm working my way through missions and surviving with 1 try - 5 missions and 2 1-tries left! :D

4. grandmort

No. Wow, I'm intrigued now :?: :?: :?: Thanks, I'll try right now!

5. Wheat1328

I edited my post above to give you a clue. :D You've already done it once!

6. grandmort

Lol, can't do it!!! Story of my life, if I aim for a specific game goal, I usually fail for what feels like a 1,000 tries.

That darn canon - yes, you know the one I'm talking about - will not let me pass in one try no matter how I approach it.

I hate lasers AND canons!!!

7. grandmort

Okay, so now I'm discovering new layers of weirdness here.

Still can't do one-try. The gravity rolling boulder now always trigger the huge plate going to the ceiling first. I've tried not taking both (or one only) time slower before where you multiply, to no avail.
    Something weird happened in one of my run where the lasers, where you multiply and have the screen filled with clones, burned some of the time accelerators in the passage ahead and one of the roller. I was left in slow mo rolling slowly in the air, yet moving forward the the gravity boulder still overtook me.

A lot of weird configs can be tested in this level. Don't tell me anything yet, but I'm even more puzzled now.

8. Wheat1328

Fly low so it gets stuck then right away pull up. :D

The hard part (atleast for me) was stopping the rolling gravity trigger going 1 speed slower than the default. :shock:

9. grandmort

I'm giving up for today, this is driving me insane - I CANNOT PASS THIS IN ONE TRY!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm probably failing to "see" something here... I've tried so many configs I'm all confused and need a break.

10. Wheat1328

Been there! There's times I try and try and try to no avail, then I quit for the day and my first playthough the next day I get it without issue. :lol:

Watch the video up above, that might help?

11. grandmort

Got it just now - 42!
    Didn't think of watching the video, :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll compare now.

I'm not sure what happened but this was a pain!

12. Wheat1328

Any tips for stopping the gravity trigger going 1 speed slower and 2-3 sizes smaller?? Should be an easy 45+ if I can get it.

13. grandmort

Well, that's the whole problem, this thing is a pain, it's very hard to do a "Survive with one try" run and pass that point. I'm going to study that a bit more.

14. Wheat1328

Yeah, I'm thinking you HAVE to be regular size to stop the gravity trigger. 2 sizes smaller and you may as well not even exist. 1 size smaller is likely possible but would involve a fair amount of luck. I've been trying to get multiple little ones on that landing zone, but it's not working.

15. Wheat1328

I'm done with the POS level! 32. I don't care. This is so dumb. I've only stopped that stupid gravity trigger once going the one speed slower I need to. And that was back on my 1-try run. I have no idea how I even did it. This level is dumb. That's all.

16. Wheat1328

Ok, So I probably overreacted... :-?

Finally figured out the "trick" to stop that stupid thing. Now I can go for the 46 ogster and Matt33 have!

17. grandmort

Okay, so one thing I don't understand about DOMINO:

It seems you have to survive in one-try if you hope to achieve a high score and have the final gears move away from you, which means no checkpoint restart or the gears will stay with you.
    We all know that speed is a big factor on this level because if you are too slow (or too small as your size affect your distance covered proportionally) you cannot overtake the rolling gravity boulder and it will reach a button and elevate the huge chained metal plate so you can't pass.

Now, I have been trying so many combination on this level it's not even funny. I found a way to avoid one of the slower at the very beginning, or even to avoid the one by the annoying canon.

Here is what I though of the BADLAND physics though:
    I believed one SLOWER got countered by one FAST (I like to call them ACCELERATOR) power-up.
    Same for the SLOW TIME vs. FAST TIME ones, correct?

So if one proceeds with DOMINO and take everything available (we'll discuss sizes later) then all power-ups cancel out each other and one should be able to do a checkpoint restart since by the time you reach the TIME SLOWERS (where you multiply like crazy on screen) you should be at the original speed. Yet it doesn't work. If you just got fried in the "laser/rolling" part before, or if you failed even prior at the "changed to a cube" part, you will not make it to the end where the gear move away from you.

I'm not understanding why. Am I missing something here?

18. Wheat1328

Not sure if I'm following grandmort but I'll give it a go:

This level is not balanced! Meaning from the cannon (after the cube part) you can not die. There is one more slow down thing than there is speed up thing. One at the cannon, one right after the transporter before the next dominos. Then there's 1 accelerator. So your one slower.

19. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

Ok, took a break from smashing glasses :P and came back to BADLAND, my first level I knew I could improve was Domino. (React is another one, but that one is screwing me all over time and again! :evil: )

After all the discussion here, I found the best alternative to beat this level (Not in 1-try though) with a high clone count...myself. I took an entirely different approach.

What grandmort said about avoiding the size-up powerup is a great technique. All you need to do is to RESTART the checkpoint where you have to roll past all those activating lasers. Your aim is to avoid the size-up powerup at the exit to the madness multiplying area. This is hard, hence the restarts. But everything behind you does not matter. Proceed with the level as usual after that, avoiding all the size-up powerups.

Do not aim to avoid any of the FAST powerups. Come into the last part of the gears with normal speed. If not, as many said, the gravity activating boulder will screw you over.

You would chase the gears at the last part with the intended speed Frogmind wants you to get. The problem is, most of you seem rather blunt on getting to this part with one speed slower. However, this is not required. All you need to do is to continuously bang your clone fleet towards the ceiling to slow the fleet down. Of course, you need to regulate the banging so that clones don't get left behind. With the right intervals and number of bangs, all you must do at the end is to use the ceiling to shape your fleet into a straight line to slip them between the last 2 gears that stopped. In my attempt to do so, I wasn't entirely successful in calculating the number of bangs, but still slipped 47 clones through by the gears' pushing momentum, though sadly 1 clone got squashed.

20. ShiV

ShiV True Gamer

Finally, after playing this level for quite a bit this week, it was forgiving enough to let me add some more clones to the total. Last few days I managed to screw up chances at 60, 62 and 63 clones here (mostly at the final part, or the mine right in front of that). But now I finally got 64 up untill the last part, unfortunatelly losing 2 just before entering there. Still, 62 clones!

Forgive me for the bad quality, finally found a way to record on Windows Phone, but was my first time with it. No sound is possible with the app that gets this video on your laptop, so next time I'll just connect the audioplugs of phone and laptop. Found out to late how to get the screen fullsize, I allready accidentelly pushed the replay level button so couldn't rerecord. Somehow the recording also happened to fast. Edited the recording to be at approximatelly normal speed after the original recording, so things can be better observed, even though it isn't really fluent like this (also first time working with Sony Vegas, so was all new for me ;P ).

64+ clones should be possible, with the correct size and some luck ;)

/Edit: Can't seem to enter my score in the clonesheet, guess it's above it's maximum?