Pipeline

Discussion in 'DAY I' started by Ben Thumbs, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Ben Thumbs

Ben Thumbs Clone Master Moderator

[​IMG]

PIPELINE

BADLANDER DAY I: DAWN - PIPELINE is my favourite level in DAY I: DAWN. It's fairly straight forward and yet still quite challenging. To maximize your clones saved here try to avoid some of the BIG and FAST Powerups and whatever you do, don't hit the thin pointed ledge above the mine on your way past!

Missions

[​IMG]

Clones Saved

Add your own Clone Counts into the Clone Saving Spreadsheet >>HERE<<

Playthrough

Note: This is just a simple "Survive with one try" playthrough to show off this level here in the Badlands Forum.

2. Wheat1328

Wheat1328 Ultimate Survivor Moderator

Eff this level!!!!

I bet I've made 200+ runs and have only gotten 25 to the last stick twice. Eff this. I'm done with this level. And this game....for a few days. :think:

3. Ben Thumbs

Ben Thumbs Clone Master Moderator

:lol: I completely understand where you coming from there and have said the exact same thing to myself on numerous occasions. ;)

4. AndroidUser

AndroidUser Active Member

9 times brought 25 clones until the last needle, and every time one remained under the needle. Only a 10th time finally guessed that in the end you have to skip one of the small-powerup. And immediately held 25.

There is a small trick, that is not principal for playthrough. Early in the tunnel with propellers not need to take big-powerup. For this purpose must be carefully rush to the fan and it will throw you for a powerup. Being one size smaller much easier to go without loss of first gear.

5. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

I knew it! I retried and retried that portion again, a few times making the size-up powerup go flying almost behind me. I thought with enough luck and skill, that powerup could perhaps be avoided. But it's excruciatingly difficult to do so. Not sure if there's a consistent method?

6. n0phun

n0phun Master of Disaster Moderator

I did this "trick", but it isn't easy. Good that it can be retried from ckeckpoint.

For a long time maximum possible was set here to 26. Was set down to 25 by Wheat after FBI Light Rock wrote (on the spreadsheet) that it is not possible to go through the next narrow if you do not sacrifice one clone to get the 4 small powerups. That isn't correct, it is possible (though hard) and it is surely possible if you skip the big powerup at the beginning. What I don't know is if it is possible to get them through the gears at the end without getting some squashed when they are 3 sizes bigger than in normal runs. I'm losing some then, even if I don't explode the mine.

Did you try it?

7. AndroidUser

Sequential method certainly is, but honestly, I was not trying to earn it, because it does not matter to pass the level. I would not return to the checkpoint to necessarily skip this powerups (as writes n0phun). But I did it skip about once every 15.

I also think that the maximum should be set 26.
    My goal was - 25, however, as I wrote above, I did not try at all costs to miss BIG powerup in the tunnel, and when it gets perceived as only a little help. It is clear that 25 is achievable with a "standard " size.

I do not know if I'll ever try to get 26 (I have not played a carefully Day1 Night and all Day2). But if I'm going to try, then already BIG powerup in the tunnel will need to be sure to pass. Can you try it?

Amazing level. Like anything complex, but the huge difference between maintaining a 20-24 and 25.

8. n0phun

n0phun Master of Disaster Moderator

It is dependend on the phases of the moon. I tried to get a ratio better than 1:20 from checkpoint, but couldn't come up with a consistent method. Some days I lucked very quick (about 1:5), but most times it was far worse (> 1:20, sometimes > 1:35). After 30 tries I'm just so bored and sleepy that I don't react fast enough when there is a small distance between clone and powerup. No fun.

I did, and will again, especially since Kullua is one Clone ahead of me again in D1 Dawn. But for now I'm trying the D2 Dawn levels.

Agreed, this was stunning. I had not that much difficulties to get 24, but only after playing Cloneblower for a week (SIGH) and some rounds in this level for recreation I was able to do 25. Being normal size. And I didn't use your tip to skip one small powerup in the end, instead I tried to have a last bunch of at least 4 clones to come up to the needle. Worked only in the third try (with two clones ;-)), but was easier for me than skipping a powerup here. Old dog, new tricks...

Has anyone still objections to set the max back to 26?

9. AndroidUser

n0phun, Congratulations!
    I was not time to play.
    But in the "revolver" and "jumpy" I got his playing just 30 minutes a day. So I do not throw play. :)

10. ogster

ogster Elite Member

i agree, 26 should be the max. i don't know if if there is any effective maneuver to consistently avoid the first big power-up, but it is clear to me that by doing so, you wouldn't need to sacrifice a clone later in the level. i avoided the big power-up (luckily) but lost a couple in the gears. played on to find out how the rest of the level would go and managed a clean run all the way.

i'm still at 24 and gnawing at this level everyday. i'll be happy with just 25.

11. FBI Light Rock

I can verify the possibility of 26 for Pipeline. I have avoided that Big power-up, and made through the rest of the level, amid a hiccup where I lost 2 clones. (This attempt got me the 24. I did this on a demo iPhone 5C in an Apple store, so the record is recorded on neither of my devices. Heck, I shall just count that anyway. :P) Almost got that 26 about 2 times. EDIT: Just got 24 on my device too. :) But lost 2 clones on separate occasions.

However, like Mines!, 26 for Pipeline presents a few new challenges.

The first one is definitely avoiding the Big power-up at the end of the tunnel with propellers. This is the most major hurdle.

The second major hurdle is the part where we were supposed to collect the 4 Small power-ups. There is a small opening between 2 pointy things, and here you must strictly let the clones out ONE BY ONE IN A STRAIGHT LINE. Failure to do so results in no amends. Very easy to clog up clones here.

Few more hiccups may occur at the "waterwheels" since putting too much clones in one compartment may squish clones. Major ruiner for me. :evil:

However, the last part is easy due to the bigger size of clones. Still, the final few waterwheels (Especially the last one. Urgh!) can easily squish the bigger clones.

EDIT: It seems possible to get 26 even without avoiding the Big power-up (1st major hurdle). I was able to squeeze the clones one by one out of the 2 pointy things. However, it does pose problems since it is easier for clones to be squished by the waterwheels.

Good luck in getting the 26 clones here, guys! :) Almost did it myself, I'm sure you guys can do it! Let's see who's first to get 26!

12. FBI Light Rock

Urgh! This level is getting the better of me! :evil: Just drained my battery from full to critical (6%, actually :P) and all I got was upping my clone record by 2 to 24 in which I've already done so on the demo iPhone 5C! My phone just doesn't seem to be able to cooperate. Somehow today it felt a teeny inconsistent. Guess I'll head back to using a clean, demo iPhone 5S or 5C. (My Apple stores here don't seem to have loaded Badland demo on their iPads :( )

Meanwhile, anyone else working on this level? ;)

13. ShiV

ShiV True Gamer

@Chico, on your 26-run here: Of course that can happen again;) Been too the end with 26 clones on numerous occasions, unfortunately always lost at least 1 there. Pretty clever way how you skipped the size-up though, I normally always try to enter with maximum speed, and once a fan hit me don't touch the screen anymore until I'm kicked out of the tunnel. With some luck you skip it as well like that, but how you did it is a lot better. Now if you only would try to go for 25 at first, 26 is a goal after that I would say, just sacrifice that one clone for that run and you'd have it already:)

14. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

It wasn't intentional. Althought this happened before, i have no idea how to do that consciously.

Plus surviving the rest of the level with all 26 ( mainly that party where you should get 4 small powerups). That's pretty hard and i feel that run was a special one. If you did that in numerous occasions hats off to you man.

I did, in many occasions. This level doesn't like me.