High Speed

Discussion in 'DAY I' started by Wheat1328, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Wheat1328

Wheat1328 Ultimate Survivor Moderator

[​IMG]

HIGH SPEED

Missions

[​IMG]

Clones Saved

Add your own Clone Counts into the Clone Saving Spreadsheet >>HERE<<

Playthrough

Note: This is just a simple "Survive with one try" playthrough to show off this level here in the Badlands Forum.

2. Ben Thumbs

Ben Thumbs Clone Master Moderator

WOW I managed to get my target of 19 clones here for HIGH SPEED on my 3rd attempt.

3. ogster

ogster Elite Member

as per nophun, yes, 22 is possible here. i gave it a try and did manage to get two and not pick up a rotate power-up. it's not very hard. but, THAT and going through the rest of the level clean is potentially a very frustrating undertaking.

but i'm starting to understand nophun's take on things. it's fascinating actually. it's challenging what is generally thought as maximum possible. i like it. i hope you keep it up.

4. n0phun

n0phun Master of Disaster Moderator

So true. I tried before mentioning it, would have liked just to adjust my score in the sheet. ;-) Still at 20 here.

Getting 2 through without picking the rotate powerups is really not hard. Did you try 3? I did, but don't think it is possible, a they have to be in a line, and then one of the powerups will drop on the third one.

Started with the comments on the spreadsheet on Jumpy (that one from you IIRC) and Badlander. And recently a lot of comments by FBI Light Rock and some by myself, partially removed short time after when max pos was adjusted. I just wanted to try - or at least leave a note - before I forget about it. Already forgot one level, there was a new comment from Light Rock, then max score - and comment - was removed. Wheat already started moving a comment from sheet to forum discussion, I think that's better for those of us with bad memory.

Of course I will keep up challenging max pos where I see a chance, but I do that just by the comments and occasional observations.

5. Wheat1328

Wheat1328 Ultimate Survivor Moderator

I think I'm going to move all comments here. You guys can still use the comment section of the sheet and I'll occasionally move the conversation here if you do. That sound better? Now that n0phun linked every level I think it works much better to do it this way.

From the spreadsheet

6. n0phun

Has been for a while now and seems to work. I linked a pointer to the moved entries or comments made originally in the topics in the sheet. For a while we had many changes, and I was not in all cases sure who made them.

Yes, as stated above, I think it isn't possible to get 3 through under the rotate powerups. But someone set max to 23 instead of 22. I'm changing this to 22 now, as long as noone comes up with an idea how to get 3 through.

7. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

I was the one who set it to 23. :D Yes, for 22 and above to be possible, the clones have to line up horizontally at that portion where the saws and the spinner power-up to avoid are. However, I'm thinking why not have the clones line up not entirely perfectly horizontally, but have them in an "ascending" pattern. The next clone in line slightly higher up than the one just behind it. Perhaps the spinner power-up would just fly past the 3rd clone? Well, then again, I'm not entirely sure, and I have no qualms on having the maximum set down to 22. I ever got 2 clones across that portion successfully a couple of times, though the last 2 saws always screw me over. My 20 attempt was made with the 2 clones across but 2 killed at those last 2 damned saws.

Strictly speaking, by definition of "maximum possible number of clones saved" (It being NO possible way to save more clones), perhaps it might be 23. But yeah, getting 3 in the "ascending" pattern I just described is excruciatingly difficult. Just like strictly speaking perhaps 12 might be possible on Phaser (Day II Dawn) given enough persistence, luck and skill.

8. n0phun

I finally made 22. Nice job on the spreadsheet, it was enough to write the value for appropriate colouring.

You might get 3 through the first two spinner powerups, but not the third (single) one. From the 22 run:
    Picture one
    Picture two

No room for a third clone there. Besides, I like black more than grey. ;-)

9. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

Great job, n0phun! You are really one up there! :D Thanks for clarifying that 3 isn't possible too. So yeap, 22 is the max and it shall be left at that.

I've retired from badlanding unfortunately...but keep me updated on new insights! ;)

10. ShiV

ShiV True Gamer

Than I'm sorry to tell you you need to switch back to grey again ;P But this is more a matter of luck. Just played this one trying to finally get 22 again instead of 21 (still didn't make it though), and one of those attempts I got 3 past the first 2 spinners. But since they weren't properly lined up, I tried to bump to the ceiling getting one to the saws and be killed, leaving the other 2 alive. But somehow I then got one that stayed a little behind of the other 2, those got underneath the spinner, which fell, and the third one went over it. Unfortunately didn't make it like this to the end but with a huge dose of luck 23 should be possible.

11. n0phun

That was to be expected from you... ;-)

Okay, better grey than nothing. ;-) So it is (with luck) possible to get 3 through. Do you think even 4 might be possible or is this the limit? From your description of this accident it sounds one might have two behind, then going over the spinner. I've set max to 23 now, if more might be possible we will just set it to 23+.
    I'll try this from your description. Later, sigh...

12. ShiV

ShiV True Gamer

Hehe well I would've never expected that from myself here, was just a funny coincidence I suppose.

On the 24 aspect. Mmmmmaybe, but I doubt it. It was already incredibly lucky to get those 3 through without spin, I suppose somehow that with 4 clones one of the first two spinners might already have been taken, or (if you ever get so lucky to be in the right direction) that the 2 clones that try to get over the falling spinner have an attraction that's to big to keep missing the spinner. I guess 23 would be the ultimate one, unless proven otherwise. And even getting 23 would take about a miracle if you ask me...

13. ShiV

ShiV True Gamer

It seems you don't even need that kind of luck/extreme condition, and playing the normal way should make 23 clones possible. Most of the times you're trying to align the clones in a straight line, while bumping floors/ceilings etc. Think this slows the clones down quite a bit, so you're too slow to get 3 clones past the third spinner. In this case I didn't have to bump into anything except completely in the beginning, just after taking the first superclone. So my speed was a lot bigger than you normally would have, making it possible to get past the third spinner without taking it.