Superclone

Discussion in 'DAY I' started by Wheat1328, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Wheat1328

Wheat1328 Ultimate Survivor Moderator

[​IMG]

SUPERCLONE

Missions

[​IMG]

Clones Saved

Add your own Clone Counts into the Clone Saving Spreadsheet >>HERE<<

Playthrough

Note: This is just a simple "Survive with one try" playthrough to show off this level here in the Badlands Forum.

Powerups / Tricks for max Clone Saves

[​IMG]

The following replay shows the Powerups / Tricks used to set up: BADLAND DAY - I: NOON - SUPERCLONE for max clone saves.
    If you'd prefer to work this level out for yourself, DON'T WATCH IT! ;)

After this you're on your own to finish off the level.

2. Ben Thumbs

Ben Thumbs Clone Master Moderator

Any tips here for SUPERCLONE?
    I see some big numbers in the CLONE SAVE SPREADSHEET but can't improve on my 34 clones. :?
    I know how to avoid the BIG POWERUPS and I assume there's a way to trigger a chain reaction with the mines to clear a path, but I can't find anything with any sort of consistency.

3. grandmort

grandmort Elite Member Moderator

Yes.

Yes, well, no, not really, lol, it's a pain.

But... You are missing something crucial between these two things. Don't be so hasty to figure it out. ;)

4. ogster

ogster Elite Member

so cryptic, aren't you?

with the mines at the end, i have yet to find a consistent way to trigger that lovely chain reaction.

5. Ben Thumbs

Thanks for the tip on the tip ogster! ;)

I'm not much of a fan of vagueness. If someone asks me what they need to dig a hole in the garden, I'm the type of person that will tell them they need a spade. :lol:

Perhaps that's got something to do with me being Australian, a post-grad scientist and/or a teacher?!

6. Ben Thumbs

OK so I can now avoid the BIG and FAST Powerups and arrive at the end stretch of mines with a heap of small clones, but I can't find a starting point for detonating the mines that doesn't all but annihilate the entire murder of clones.

Any advice here?

Hit high? Hir low? Hit fast? Hit slow? Try to go over the first peak? Etc.

7. Wheat1328

No ones got a great answer for that Lunartic. Hitting the very first one at the very top with your clone that's out in front seems to always work. And the same goes for the other ones, it's just really hard to do. The absolute best thing that can happen is you hit the first one and it flips through and blows up the next 2. I've had that happen once but then got do nervous that I screwed up the last one and lost all my clones. :lol:

8. ogster

ogster Elite Member

i find that hitting high or as close to the tip as possible gets me better results. but a technique to trigger a chain reaction still escapes me. 65+ here is still possible if the mines cooperate.

9. Ben Thumbs

Cheers!

Well I'm not off to a very good start with my 2222 clone quest, the best I could manage tonight was 22 here for SUPERCLONE. :lol: Somehow I managed to get 34 clones through not long after I got the game and well before I became aware of any tricks for the level. :o

Yeah, it's very clear that if you get a bit of luck early on with the mines, you're in with a chance for a 50+ run. Get it slightly wrong though and it's complete annihilation. :eh:

10. Ben Thumbs

Managed to improve my total to 39 clones, still lots of work to do and a lot of luck to fall my way!

11. n0phun

n0phun Master of Disaster Moderator

I made my 33 before planning to improve clone counts, and I can't remember how. Certainly didn't avoid the first big powerup then, wouldn't have known it is possible without this thread. Did you watch Vicvic91's video with 65 saved? https://everyplay.com/videos/1095142 I want at least 55+ here. Later, I tried today and can't reach even 30.

12. Ben Thumbs

Thanks for the heads up on that replay, and a belated welcome to the forums!

He's hitting that second mined rock at the end a lot lower than I've been trying to do, I'll check it out.

p.s. A couple more posts and you'll automatically get rid of that CLONE SHY rank. ;)

13. Ben Thumbs

Argh hitting a road block this early in my quest is incredibly frustrating!

I went though and tweaked some of my clone targets today and SUPECLONE was one of the levels that I tweaked down.
    I reduced my target here to 52 clones and just completed a run through where I saved 51 clones. :lol: :cry: :lol:

Nothing much to do but keep at it and hope some luck falls my way, which it has to do sometime because so far I've had little to none!

I've managed to trigger the nice chain reaction a few times with 40+ clones, only for the last 2 SUPERCLONE POWERUPS to get knocked out of the screen, and/or be squashed under a rock...

I've tried to copy VicVic91's technique of hitting the crucial mined rock lower down, but it seems to be just as inconsistent as hitting in anywhere else. When watching his replay it was interesting to see that he avoids the first BIG POWERUP completely differently to the way I do it.

EDIT: Nope, no luck and this level is really starting to do my head in, so it's time to move on!

14. Wheat1328

Oh Superclone, how I hate your randomness at the end.

15. twiki

twiki Active Member

Really struggling on missing the 2 speed ups very close to the start. Is it just random or is there a technique? I'm trying to stay high through the 'curtain' but the spinny thing pushes me low with a least 2 clones, always getting at least one speed up.

16. Wheat1328

It's pretty random. At least for me. I've had the most luck immediately flying up right before the first clone/group of clones gets to the spinner. But it only works probably 2-3 times in 10. Really annoying. Made worse by the fact that the end is even more random.

17. twiki

twiki Active Member

Cool, not even tried the end with any real amount of clones yet! Seems my comparatively low clone count comes from several of the more 'random' levels... Damn!

18. Wheat1328

Hands down worst level design in this game. Just awful. Doesn't matter how well you do the first 90% of the level because the last 10% is an absolute inconceivable design of randomness. Just bad. Bad. I hate this level.

19. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

Yeah agreed on that last part. Vivic just got super lucky there to almost not lose a single clone.

Some tips for you guys (Especially my contender Lunartic :P )...might help? :)

Try following Vivic's video! The main points (And sort of flaws in Lunartic's one) is that:
    - Try to avoid the 1st size-up powerup by slowly inching your way past it after dislodging it, since flunging it across is a lot more risky.
    -At the fast spinning blades, pull your clones to the ceiling asap after successfully attracting both superclone powerups. Try to only force one clone into the next compartment between 2 blades so that the rest are left behind to avoid the Fast powerups.
    -Usually helps to contact the peak of the towers to trigger mines to avoid clone loss. For the first few that doesn't immediately trigger them, usually the top ones will do better.

20. Ben Thumbs

Ermm why do you keep refering to me like I'm your rival in some kind of race? :wtf: :think:

I haven't spent time grinding for clone counts in weeks and have lost all interest in doing so for the time being. And even if I do start grinding again, the only person I'm competing here with is myself as by and large I pay little to no interest in Game Center leaderboards for any game. ;)

Agree with this level being a major and totally random suck fest!