Speedball

Discussion in 'DAY I' started by Wheat1328, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Wheat1328

Wheat1328 Ultimate Survivor Moderator

[​IMG]

SPEEDBALL

Missions

[​IMG]

Clones Saved

Add your own Clone Counts into the Clone Saving Spreadsheet >>HERE<<

Playthrough

Note: This is just a simple "Survive with one try" playthrough to show off this level here in the Badlands Forum.

2. Ben Thumbs

Ben Thumbs Clone Master Moderator

:lol: I was really struggling to find a way to improve on my clone saves here for SPEEDBALL, that is until I watched the replay I shared and embedded above...

OOOOOOOOOHHHH!

Improved to 49 clones on my first attempt and that pushed me over the 1,500 Total Clones Saved for HYPERCLONER Achievement, so the day has been a complete loss. Should be able to get into the high 50s now that I know what to do. ;)

3. Wheat1328

Using the method in the video above the max is 51.

To get to 60+ I'll drive you nuts by leaving you with this: Move the big ball with more than 1 clone. ;)

4. Ben Thumbs

I'm only 1 clone away from my target here in SPEEDBALL and if I get a decent run where everything falls into place, I should be able to smash my target. Then again, this fricking gun seems determined to send me to a padded cell before then. :x

[​IMG]

It's so 'simple' to avoid and yet I've wasted SOOOOO much time dying stupidly here. :shock:

5. Ben Thumbs

Well I got my 56 clones saved here and I'm out! This level is starting to get to me.

6. stone3416

stone3416 Active Member

Someone please tell me how it's possible to get more than 51 on Speedball. In order to get in the 60s, you would have to get 10+ clones past the big ball and then also get them past the slow motion section with the little boulder on the hill that you can't knock off or it will explode the mines and scatter you to the wind. I Just don't see how it's possible, but I see plenty of folks in the 60s in the spreadsheet, so I know I missing something. I'm no threat on the leader board, so help a brother out! :D

7. n0phun

n0phun Master of Disaster Moderator

Welcome! A video of a 61 run is linked in the spreadsheet, to the right of the line. I'm still at a bad 49, I'm just not able to move the big ball with clones so little (did it once somehow, but cannot repeat it). And the video is sped up there, I would like to watch that part in normal speed. Another level where I will need endless tries.
    As for the little boulder, you just kick it down, wait for the explosion and go in only after that.

8. stone3416

stone3416 Active Member

Thanks for the help. It sure looks easy when you see a video of someone else doing it. I have been unable to move that big ball with the small clones at all. At least I know it's possible.

9. n0phun

n0phun Master of Disaster Moderator

It's a one try from the level start, as you have to skip at least one of the group of three fast powerups at the beginning. Otherwise you're to quick when you come to the stone and all clones move out of the screen before the ball starts to roll. Thats why grandmort waits so long after getting the superclone in the video.

I finally did it today. Lucked with size and stone with 13, got 11 of them through the slowmo part with the mine. Did that before (most times still one size bigger than in the video), but always screwed up the last part of the level, either leaving clones behind or got too many sawed. No losses this time, so I'm happy for now. Of course, later I'll want more, more, more...

As for the leader board, you're not that far behind on #34 to ignore how fast you may process. Mind to put your results to the spreadsheet?

10. stone3416

stone3416 Active Member

I finally noticed how Grandmort avoided the fast speed objects. I was going nuts trying to figure how to move the stone moving so fast. I have been amazed at how creative some of you guys are at solving some of these levels for maximum clones. I would be no where near #34 without watching the youtube and everyplay replays of Zach Wheat, grandmort and others. The first time I saw the spreadsheet on this site, I thought it was a joke. The numbers were so much larger than I thought possible. It made me see this game in a whole new light. I actually thought I had the max on almost every level! I don't mind adding my data to the spreadsheet. Are the permissions setup so that anyone can edit the file? Thanks again for the advice and encouragement. I'm really just trying to make it to 2200 right now. Anywhere near 2500 seems impossible, but I didn't think I'd ever make it to 2000, so you never know. One clone at a time!

11. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

Glad you figured it out. :) I also watch these everyplay videos in order to improve a couple of my clone counts. There are of course, quite a lot in which there aren't any at all, so I go and discover them myself. I'm quite proud of my method to save more clones in Domino (in which I posted here) and perhaps Snappy Crash.

Yeap, the spreadsheet is free for all to edit (Unfortunately that also caused some douchbag not so long ago to destroy our spreadsheet, but I managed to restore it), so go ahead and add your name there! :D I've started you off by adding the obvious 1 to Spiral and Size Matters. I'm on mobile, so can't add your name for now.

12. stone3416

stone3416 Active Member

Thanks again. I will definitely add my clone counts to the spreadsheet. That kind of public display should give me even more incentive to increase my numbers. Do you know what happened to ogster on the leaderboard? He was #1 a few days ago and now he is not on the list.

13. Wheat1328

It appears Frogmind set the max to 2699. This prevents hackers from getting up at the top. I believe Matt33, ogster, and Kullua have forced Frogmind to move the max multiple times because they keep achieving numbers that didn't seem possible. So it's just a matter of time before Frogmind resets the max again. ;)

You can see currently ogsters score by adding his Day 1 count and Day 2 count.

14. stone3416

stone3416 Active Member

2699! Wow. I would have bet my house that no one would ever reach 2700. I'm having a hard time finding levels that I can increase my clone count already and I haven't reached 2200 yet. You guys are playing this game at a whole different level. To bad every max run isn't posted on youtube or everyplay cause without cheating, I'm probably pretty close to my max number now. :)

15. ShiV

ShiV True Gamer

To finally get beyond 70 was a b*tch... So many things that can and almost always did go wrong here.

A few weeks ago I upped my clonecount to 68, whereas it could (and perhaps even should, really messed up that run) have been 73. Since then I've been trying to get past 70 a long time. Yet a lot can go wrong in this level. In the above run a lot went as good as it could, only 3 clones were lost after the canons, 2 of those were plain stupid losses as well that should've been avoided. But counting those 3 with the rest makes clear that a 75 clonecount should be possible. I actually already had another run recorded (that also didn't really work out as I hoped ;P) where 26 clones got past the canons. But to make it even more, also 27 and 28 clones made it in other runs the last few weeks past those canons. It is hard, but possible in my eyes, to get all of those plus the rest you pick up until the end of this level alive, so a 78+ clonecount should be possible even!

A few tips/tricks/additional info about this level:

• The first speed powerup can also be avoided. This is what you see me try at the beginning. If you bump into the rock just before it at the right place, the powerup is at a distance where it just nearly feels the presence of the clone. In that case it either drops down (either staying at its place at the bottom where you will end up still picking it up, or it will roll to the right since it gets pushed that way by the 'beat of the heart', this happens more frequently than the first situation, and makes it possible to skip it) or the powerup still gets attracted towards the clone, but 'swings' around him where it will end up on the upside of the rock.
      • Since you're slower now than normal when the powerup is taken, it does become harder to skip the rest of those speed powerups. I never managed to skip all like this, most of the times you will end up taking at least 2 speed powerups. The best I did was to only take 1, what gives the same speed from the above recording (there I took the first one but missed the next 3). So in the end this will most likely not help. I still try every time again though, but it would be a miracle in my eyes if it really happens for someone.
    • It had been a while but somehow I did skip 1 of 3 speed powerups at around 1:00 a couple of months ago once or twice. In my memory this always was the first one, something I have been trying to recreate ever since. Now 2 days ago I suddenly managed to skip one again, but it was the third one this time. I checked this out in the replay, and after this I was able to skip that powerup another 1 or 2 times. Since then it didn't work out for me anymore, and at the times I did manage to do it I didn't get enough clones past the canons. How it can be done though: from the moment you enter that 'tube' with the 3 speed powerups, take the first two in one straight line, aiming towards the space underneath the third powerup, without bumping towards the ceiling or floor. If you now try to fly just underneath the third speed powerup, so really in 1 attempt, hit nothing in between, you might have enough speed to just push yourself underneath/past the third speed powerup.
    • In the above clonerun I took only 2 size-ups from the whole bunch at around 1:15. In other attempts however I also managed to take only 1, or perhaps (don’t believe this happened, not sure though) even none. Normally you would say smaller = Yay!, but I think my size from this run might actually be the best one to have. Be larger and you have a bigger chance at losing more clones right at the end. But being smaller also gives several problems.
      • The clones get stuck a whole lot easier. Especially the part at around 4:40 – 4:45 will easily take a few of your clones when they get stuck behind those parts that stick out a bit.
      • The wires where the speed powerups are attached to just after (at around 4:47) get dangerous. The smaller you are the more easy it is to either get squashed by them while they fly around after taking the powerups, or you get squashed by them because they start stretching out like happens at the end of React as well. Apparently that stretching effect grows when you’re smaller, and being smaller already makes you more weak, so big chance a couple won’t make that part.
      • Another one I never saw before except once when I was really small; Right at the end, when you enter the part with the saws, your clones get pushed towards those saws by a big circling object in the beginning. It only happened once, but one clone got squished by the ball, that kept moving the clone to the right or better said the ceiling, where it was being pushed into oblivion.
      • It might also be very good possible to get a high clonecount by taking just 1 or none of the size-ups, but the times I tried it only worked against me. But perhaps the above run was a lucky one where I normally would’ve lost a number of clones at the above events as well.
    Hope this might help in upping your scores here :D !

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015