Promoting The Badland Forums

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSION' started by Ben Thumbs, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Ben Thumbs

Ben Thumbs Clone Master Moderator

Oh and seeing as though they didn't use the banner shot, I'm going to switch to the 4 clones - red eye. ;)

2. Wheat1328

Wheat1328 Ultimate Survivor Moderator

That's really cool!! Nice job getting it all pulled together Lunartic!!!

Also, the art the made up for their FB post is pretty sweet!

3. Ben Thumbs

We're up on Twitter:

[​IMG]

4. Ben Thumbs

Here are the final stats from the recent promo that Frogmind did for us on Facebook and Twitter.

[​IMG]

It's easy to be a little dissapointed in the final outcome of all that (no new posting members), but as I've said before (and based on years on small gamer forum experience) be happy that we've got a few people here that are equally mad about the game and are willing to put the extra mile in for it and don't worry about the people who aren't. ;)

5. Wheat1328

Nice graphic Lunartic! I was just looking at that earlier today. Thanks again for getting the devs behind the place!!

6. ogster

ogster Elite Member

the results are not at all surprising. though not for lack of trying, that's for sure. you guys did an awesome job. there just aren't as much sophisticated players out there as we would like. further proof too that popular games don't necessarily attract the sophisticated players.

the only thing that disappoints me is the reminder that a huge majority of players are only after three stars/eggs and achievements. badland, and a lot others have immense replay value that are sadly unappreciated. it's money well spent but too many don't know or don't bother to find out what they paid for.

7. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

I would admit that what you guys said is true. Such was true even for myself. When I finished the game (One playthrough), I pledged to complete all 240 missions thereafter. So yes, I worked to get that. I mean, it's the natural thing you'll do after your first playthrough. Seeing all those missing eggs/stars would naturally make us natural gamers feel that missing sense of accomplishment. So for the sake of completion (Assuming gamers are even bothered about completion, as some just isn't and sadly move on with other games and unfortunately throw Badland aside :( ), it's the most natural thing to go after, FIRST.

Furthermore, there are achievements coupling missions as well, so there's even more incentive to go after the missions. Yes, it's true that there are achievements involving saving clones, but it's only the achievements; no in-game rewards. The clone count is just a small number (literally! :P ) anyway. Don't those eggs stand out more to you than the clone count numbers?

The good part about Badland is that IT IS HARD. The first playthrough is hard, the missions are EVEN HARDER! Imagine being obsessed with the missions for that sake of completion, and finally completing them all! I would probably think most would get tired after all that effort and feel that it's finally time to move on after spending so much time on it. That's the unfortunate life of a mobile game: Quick to pick up, quick to put down. That's where Badland isn't so suited for a mobile experience due to it's difficulty level. (Don't get me wrong, it's really awesome quality gameplay, graphics, etc for a mobile game! :D I still must applaud Frogmind for that!)

As for me, I changed my mind after joining here! The Save the Clones Spreadsheet amazed me! This is why I'm now almost equally obsessed with saving more and more clones!

Perhaps what we can do is not only advertise this site, but advertise a couple of some of the most awesome clone saving videos on YouTube! (Not Everyplay, I don't think people really use that...) Now if only we had Matt's 4 clone run for Oblivion and Final Frontier...;) Maybe we can add on to showcasing our official Save the Clones Spreadsheet?

8. Ben Thumbs

Thanks for taking the time to respond at length like that guys, you both raised some good points.

As strange as it might sound I think the best way to promote this place is to forget about trying to promote it and just keep doing what we do. That's not to say I'm not highly appreciative of Frogmind doing what they did for us, but I think the best members for places like these are the ones who go searching for information etc. on their own and then find us. In my experience mass recruitment drives can bump up your traffic and member stats but as you can see if you push the MEMBERS button here, they're mostly just check in - register - never heard from agains. Individually targeting people who show exceptional interest in a game in other places can be a bit more productive, but on the whole I think a 'build it and a few might come' is the best way to look at it.

All in all it was a positive experience even if it achieved nothing but getting some communication going with Frogmind for a while and confirmation that they like what we've done and are behind us. It would be nice if they could check in and be active here regularly, but I choose to believe they're busy working on new BADLAND levels, or a new game. :D Not to mention that this is after all A FAN SITE.

Cheers!

9. Wheat1328

Well I put my videos up on YouTube with a link to this place in the description per Light Rock's suggestion (If you're intrested, search "BADLAND Wheat" and they'll all show up). I agree with what you just said Lunartic but when I first started looking for clone saving tips YouTube was my first stop, as it's usually the easiest and there's ALWAYS something there. Well nothing was at the time but now there's at least something out there (I think others here have posted to YouTube as well?). It will likely not amount to anything but if we gain one more contributing member it will be worth it.

10. Ben Thumbs

Yeah every little bit helps!
    I've only got basic replays of every level for both days and some recent multiplayer stuff on my YouTube channel, but they all have clear links back here. I haven't put up any decent clone saving replays because I haven't really saved a decent amount of clones anywhere (and realized it was a good number at the time).

11. Ben Thumbs

Our newest member: frogmind

:D