Thoughts on Coop?

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSION' started by Wheat1328, May 14, 2014.

1. Wheat1328

Wheat1328 Ultimate Survivor Moderator

Post your thoughts about the new coop here!

I'll go first:

Dumb.

Dumb.Dumb.Dumb.

The idea is awesome! Just don't force me to play it to get the achievements. I don't have anyone to play this game with! So in order for me to do it I'd either have to train a friend that doesn't want to do it OR play on my own. Which I will attempt but getting all the missions could be very hard - we'll see. I guess I don't understand why it's not online (i.e. I have not idea what that takes development wise) but that would make 1000 times more sense.

I don't want to dog on the game and the dev's hard work (which we got for free) so I'll leave it at that. This is one (if not the top) of my favorite iOS games, but putting achievements in this mode is a step back IMO.

2. Wheat1328

Yeah... eff this. I'm not doing it. I'll try playing with my 4-1/2 yr old tonight because he's actually pretty good but no way I'm I doing this on my own.

Oh, and playing coop on a phone is going to suck too. This mode (and multiplayer for that matter) is made for the iPad

3. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

I think it would be amazing if it was online, cause me too don't have anyone to play with (used to play with my girlfriend, but no girlfriend anymore, so it makes me even sadder, lol)

And yeah, making achievements that i will probably never get does piss me off a little, but i don't think it is a bad thing, the whole day 1 and day 2 are totally different with new things all over the levels. So i'm kind of mixed up on my opinion, i both hate it and love it. I think it will be really cool if i found someone to play with...( i don't have Lunartic skills to play both characters at once, unfortunately)

I guess i would love it if online was an option, but like this it's a little annoying ( i don't know how hard it is to make multiplayer online works, but seeing super stickman golf 2 bugs i guess it's very hard, imagine badland with bugs, it would ruin it, so i guess it was a wise choice)

I will have to find some friends because i wanna play it, there's too much new stuff on the levels to let it pass (by the way, how did they do it so fast? they really work their asses off)

4. Ben Thumbs

Ben Thumbs Clone Master Moderator

I love it!

That's because I'm nuts and really enjoy the challenge of completing levels flying two clones myself and I don't care all that much about achievements.

I totally get where you are coming from though.

5. Wheat1328

Yeah, it's not bad just completing the levels and that's kinda been fun on the first few. I'll probably do that. But that's because if one person dies the other can keep going - unlike multiplayer.

6. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

I like it! I don't always like to compete against my friends and generate anger amongst us. Even though the multiplayer Relations encourage coop, ultimately the style of the game still makes it a "everyone for themselves" kind of game, it's just that for the sake of all the players' survival, they work together just briefly. I do understand that getting the egg missions are quite a challenge though, since you probably need to grab a friend that is pro enough and with you often enough. Or course, go solo if you like um, Lunartic's style. :D

P.S. 4 players tackling Final Frontier at once?!?! What the!!! I really wonder what is the experience like. :lol:

Now...what happens when we bring coop to...DOOMSDAY?!?! :o :o :o (I guess we can be sure to expect Day II to have coop soon as well ;) )

7. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

I reached the level Gears in COOP mode and it crashes, can't go any further...

I think Coop is a waste of time (of the developers time) because they could use this time to create other levels instead of investing on coop.

8. Wheat1328

Once I got to the NOON levels the boxes that show up when you start (the "click here" ones) don't go away. Seems like Coop is pretty glitchy. It's super annoying trying to play with those on the screen.

EDIT: And now I'm at Gears as well. Game crashes...

EDIT 2: Sent Frogmind a message letting them know about the GEARS crash and start-up boxes not going away.

9. ogster

ogster Elite Member

initial impressions are not very good. but that might be from a clonecount inclined player's point of view. achieving scores and completing challenges have been mostly an individual effort in most, if not all, games that i'm aware of. i do enjoy and take advantage of help from other players, but never in such an in-game hands-on setting as coop requires. and like everyone else so far, i dont have anyone to play with. my nephews might be a fun set of extra hands but not for any serious gaming.

it is quite an interesting twist in gameplay though. i praise the developers for being creative and original. in that respect, i haven't been disappointed. but coop could prove to be a bit of a stretch for badland's loyal and die hard players. i don't think it takes anything from the game. but i would have preferred a different addition.

10. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

I saw a message from them saying that the Multiplayer Online would require a very low latency to keep the worlds in sync, so don't expect online multiplayer soon, we will all have to find good players to co-operate with us.

11. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

So is the high speed achievement in single player or co-op?

12. Wheat1328

They responded. Said thanks for reporting and will fix ASAP

Not sure which one you're referring to? I updated the Achievement guide. Hopefully that makes it more clear.

13. ogster

ogster Elite Member

after finishing dawn in coop, i think i've made up my mind. i don't like it. but that's my own sentiment. i've always enjoyed the competition aspect of these mobile games. and i find that trying to reach certain scores and find strategies is, for the most part, a personal endeavor.

people like matching skills against each other. i'm not sure why the devs felt departing from that formula was a good idea. and will they come up with a leaderboard for coop too? if not, what was the point? if they do, would there be 2, 3 and 4 player leaderboards? hmmm, could be very complicated.

although i didn't enjoy their original multiplayer, i still agree that it was a great idea. those that have more fun with the multiplayer levels might find the update a welcome addition. i have no idea how much demand there is for multiplayer levels so i'm restrained to suggest that another single-player level set would have been a more popular choice.

it was mentioned too, that this update seem to have come very soon. might frogmind have rushed the new stuff and left them a little unpolished? i came across a few glitches in the first 10 coop levels alone.

14. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

Not really. I think it's not really difficult to implement just a few changes to each of these Day I levels. And the core mechanic of the multiplayer already exists, all that needs to be done is just a few changes here and there to accommodate coop mode, namely the power ups affecting clones for all players, and distributing the extra clones gotten evenly. IMO, this doesn't take more than 2 weeks to finish everything. Most of the time was probably spent on tweaking the levels to fit coop. It's not a very long time frame, considering it's 1 new single player level per week, plus prior to that, brainstorming is needed to come out with the general level idea, specific obstacles, power ups, etc.

I think it's also nice that Frogmind takes a little break from cracking their heads too much on new level ideas and spending a lot of effort to build the new level landscape from scratch. After all, the less stressed you are, the more quality you produce, despite the probable sacrifice of quantity. I'm sure you guys would also want to keep Frogmind happy but occupied, so let's take this as them taking a little walk in a park to churn out good (although it might be recycled) stuff, and not GREAT stuff all the time. :D

15. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

Yeah, possibly.

I think none of out opinions count cause we are all playing coop by ourselves. I would probably have a lot of fun playing with someone else.

16. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

Is anyone else having an issue where getting more clones than is required for a mission results in its remaining locked?

17. Flamingjazz

Flamingjazz Hardcore Gamer Moderator

Yes it appears to be doing that, but not on every level because it works fine on some but not others.

I agree with Lunartic. I love it, and trying to do two clones at the same time is quite a challenge but really quite fun. And it's even more fun when you play with someone else who's quite good at it.
    It really delves into an interesting way to handle things with your brain
    It even provides general strategy ideas for levels that helps get more clones in it that you haven't thought of before.
    I'm relatively new on the "save insane amounts of clones" deal but after doing LE PUZZ on coop and coming back to my game, I got 49 clones (up from 33) because of trying something new and a lot of luck.

So, complainers, I guess it really depends on your viewpoints and how you approach it.
    Try it the Lunartic way:)

18. Ben Thumbs

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forums!

19. n0phun

n0phun Master of Disaster Moderator

Welcome!
    I sometimes didn't get the mission egg when getting more clones in the first run. Afterwards it seems to be necessary to get more than your original result (or just >= mission goal?) to get the egg.

Yep, I now like to try playing with two thumbs. It took a while, and my left hand is still not very good, but I think I will be able to do most of the missions. Scoring as a single player will not go so well, though.

I think we should have a forum for Coop alone, like for Doomsday. No need for topics for every level, but there are some levels there it is very hard to do the missions, that may need discussion.

20. Ben Thumbs

Done!

EDIT: Feel free to start any threads in there as you see fit. ;)

I also switched DOOMSDAY above DAY I as per the game changes (wonder why they keep frigging with that?)