Promote Your Levels Here!

Discussion in 'FROGMIND'S CHOICE & CONTESTS' started by Vicvic91, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

2. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

The 2 saws that move hit each other too, I will readjust this too to prevent contact with each other.

The power ups are tagged Special, while the arms are simply non-special dynamic objects. Definitely will disable collisions with Specials for the saws after they start moving. Maybe I will just make the saws only hit clony and nothing else...after all you are already dead by putting in the wrong arm.

I will make a video on how to properly play this level.

Thank you for your patience to help me fix my level, Vicvic! :) I know how unstable and frustrating my level is, but you still went the extra mile to help me all the way! I will definitely credit you inside my level in the updated version.

Vicvic91 likes this.
  3. Vicvic91

Maybe you can make your level more... easy : just put a more bigger zone to activate the powerups (in the bird, in the lasers) to avoid those stuck situation :)

4. FBI Light Rock

The trigger in the monster bird part is supposed to be a little deeper in; this is one aspect of Armed - exploiting the weakness in the supposedly rigid arm. That whole zone on the chipping birds is focused on exploiting this weakness. This includes the saw just after the hanging nest. (If the arms were completely rigid it would be impossible to pass this saw) Hmm I think I will smoothen the beak to remove the sharp hook at the end.

Throughout Armed you will explore the different characteristics of an Armed clone - more will be covered in the reflections I will write when I'm away from my iPad.

The lasers I will change them to be smaller to reduce the chances of an arm being stuck there.

5. Super zwerver

Super zwerver Well-Known Member

Vicvic your Halloween level (ghost train) is amazing! I just played it. It is one of the best levels in the hw# event. This level is a special level, because nobody have made a level like this one. Great job Vicvic!

Vicvic91 likes this.
  6. FBI Light Rock

@Vicvic91 Thanks a lot for the feedback! Armed is now resubmitted to the Level World!

Armed is now significantly more stable with much rarer crashes. There are still cases it may hang, such as camera kill or certain parts where fast moving objects squashes the clone. However, the 2 main areas which cause the most freezes has been fixed, namely the saw zone and the second section of the hamster ball zone. All thanks to Vicvic's suggestion to disable the joints when the clone is killed! :)

And as feedback by Vicvic, the bird chipping and the pipes and lasers zones have their difficulties rebalanced. The saw zone is unchanged but I will post the video on how to pass it.

Vicvic91 likes this.
  7. Vicvic91

Good job @FBI Light Rock !
    I can now play more on your levels, with less bugs :)

image.png
    . I'm having a freeze when I play this part

image.png
    . Another bug : all my powerups disapears in this part ? Very strange !

image.png
    . This was the doir that I was talking to you... But here without any freeze ! So I've seen more on your level, eheh :)

image.png
    . Is there normal that Clony pass in this part so easily ? Maybe I don't see what to do because lasers kill my powerups and the there is a gravity trap that stuck me

image.png
    . Freeze here. Impossible to restart the level... And game reboot. A very bad issue @Johannes @Miikka

Waiting for your next update, to see more on your level, ahah ! :)

8. FBI Light Rock

Hmm interesting, you are still facing a lot of bugs...I will address your issues one by one.
    As of what I could see, it is the camera that kills you. As I mentioned in my update notes, being left behind has a chance of freezing the game. But it's strange since nowadays I hardly face this issue on my iPad.

So far there is little I could do about camera killing you, since I can't disable the joints when the camera kills you.

Do you have any way to do this, Vicvic?
    It is likely that either the rotating windmill when exiting the saw zone or the peashooters in this zone to cause the arms to flex so much that the clone collects all the power ups. I have experienced this during the testing phrase a couple of times and this is completely intended. This is one of the weakness of the armed system against you. It is also a certain strength; you can scrap by the windmills and the peashooters by creating temporal holes in the armed system.
    It will still freeze sometimes, trust me, when the pistons squish you. Unless there's a way to disable the joints when you are dead...

Hmm...I might have an idea to counter this...I will try it when I get home later.
    Nope, the clone is supposed to be in the middle path, the 2 rotate power ups are supposed to be on top and below the clone. Anywhere else and you're dead. The 2 rotate power ups there is supposed to hint to you how to position your clone in the rail grinder zone. It's hard to differentiate between the 2 rotate power ups, but as long the 2 rotate power ups are top and bottom of the grinder, it doesn't matter.

I just realized the 2 supporting structures to the grinders should instead simply hit only clone, instead of hitting nothing. Thanks for the highlight!

In Armed, every power up on field is important; don't ignore them. Every shining particle effect has a meaning too. Which brings me to your next problem...
    Camera kill again, so same issue as above with the bird chipping area.

The shiny particle at the magnetic field area is where you must direct your clone into. You will probably need a few tries to get properly place the clone into the bottom of the pit to trigger the bits above to drop on your arm, which you must carry through the next section.

Vicvic91 likes this.
  9. Vicvic91

image.png
    . I have my 10 revolutions, but the door don't open ?

image.png
    . This part is horrible hard, the doomsday part ! I found how to avoid the spinner way with the cage, but when I come here the cage never want to go to the button :(
    . And in my only 1 good try when the cage go to the button, I still stuck on the branche next ! :( :(

image.png
    . Oups, I've tryed an ester egg way ^^

image.png
    . Impossible to go up when I push this button. And impossible to found a way to pass. I've used a "pass checkpoint" ahah :)

image.png
    . I finally saved Clony ! Yesss !
    Thank you for the credit :)

10. FBI Light Rock

Once again, the Big power up there is the hint! Insert the Big power up into the gap and the door will rotate 360 degrees around the arena. Don't get crushed on your way out! :mrgreen:

There is a bug here, sometimes when you get out, suddenly the game will speed up as if you got a Fast Forward power up. I have no idea why this occurs, but thankfully it doesn't occur when you restart at that checkpoint.
    You are correct! :):):) This part is designed to be the hardest part. A very long stretch which is practically 2 zones (since you need to pick up the hamster ball again)

May I know what you mean by you found out how to avoid the spinner way with the cage? I don't really understand...

Admittedly the hamster ball doesn't like to go to the button. I didn't calibrate this part carefully and there were last minute changes here and there. But thankfully its completely optional. As you could see, this button releases the Superclone power up. This is supposed to impact the build-up to the Final Zone, where the superclone will be released from a compartment. Same with the other button which releases the Small power up.
    Haha great find! :mrgreen:

It's meant to be impossible because firstly it's only meant for the hamster ball to press the button, and secondly it's optional.
    Woo! Finally seems like some hope for my level. Is any other part you feel is too hard for you?

I owe to you, Vicvic. It's my pleasure to include your name. In fact in the final version I will shift to the very beginning because I want EVERYONE to know your invaluable contribution to my level. At the end will be a link to our Badland forums and Behind the Scenes / Detailed Reflections.

11. Vicvic91

@FBI Light Rock :

Ahah, now you have to make your level playable "in 1 try" eheh :)

12. FBI Light Rock

Armed is updated yet again! Full changes elaborated below:

- Attempted fix for being killed by squishing for the piston part at Gears & Peashooters Zone and revolving door at Revolution Arena.
    - Particles only appear at the Revolution Arena when you complete the 10 revolutions - direct the Big power up there! The particles disappear after the door is open.
    - Construction Zone: Clony can no longer pass through the top and bottom of the grinder. Particles added to both sides to hint to you to direct your arms with rotate power ups there.
    - Saw Zone made easier: now you should be able to come out easier once you have activated the engine to start the windmills. You no longer need to force your way out by having the saws force you forward. A little aesthetic detail is added to the windmills too: The joint turns green from red once active.
    - The gears and saws in both Saw Zone and Gears & Peashooters are now colored - they all look pretty sexy now!:mrgreen:
    - Gears & Peashooters Zone: Rotate power up hint shifted to nearer the trigger area in the gears instead of the peashooters. There's a bug where sometimes the rotate power up will fly out and be attracted to your clone, but it's of no issue since you cannot collect it.
    - Hamster Zone: The spikeballs now give you more space to carry your hamster ball through. It's still slightly tight in the curvy stretch - this part is meant to be one of the hard parts. The branch that fires the 3 lasers to carry your hamster ball to the War sub-zone has been lowered slightly so that you can carry the hamster ball through easier. Also, the flower has now some colors :mrgreen:. Same goes for the flower at the bird chipping zone.
    Buttons with power ups: A clear note that it is optional is added

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Vicvic91 likes this.
  13. FBI Light Rock

Another update for Armed has dropped!

The Start is now completely revamped; go and take a look how cool the Start is now! You get to linger around however long you like so that you can admire all the details :mrgreen:, until you are ready to move forward.

There's a bug where one half of the bottom arms stop rotating after some time; I don't know what causes this so far.

I shifted your credits, Vicvic, to the instruction zone. So the part on showing the premise of Armed is also settled through this new credit pop up there. It's still pretty ambiguous, but it's the best I could do with a straight corridor. The Finish now features an invitation to our BADLAND forums!

The 3 gears at Gears & Peashooters Zone near the trigger zone now change color from white according to whether you insert the right arm or not. The Rotate power ups are fixed to their positions now - might as well. :mrgreen: The attempted fix for crashing is now applied to the windmills after Saw Zone as well.

A bit of difficulty balancing...though I really should stop doing this as the more I do this the more I get confused on the right difficulty. No wonder why Armed was so extreme at first...

Vicvic91 likes this.
  14. Vicvic91

thank you for the credit FBI ! You can avoid it if you want, here seems soooo big at the begguining ! Ahah :o

I really love your colored level, it's a new great idea ! Very beautiful !

FBI Light Rock likes this.
  15. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

Oh no! My spiders are now Siamese twins!

Hehe, nice level well done. Night vision is great as well.

But i must say i'm mind blowed by the levels made by 333MMCC, Bones and Ice and VicVic. They are superb.

Vicvic91 and Super zwerver like this.
  16. FBI Light Rock

Yeah, the recent level Portals 2 by 333MMCC was totally top-notch. Should totally be in Frogmind's Choice.

I wonder if you have tried my level Armed, <|-|!<0 ? :)

17. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

Agreed, although it's not nearly as hard as the game Portal 2 itself, which is one of my favorite games ever, it's so well done it makes me wonder if it wasn't made by Valve. 333MMCC is an artist! Omega is my favorite though.

Yes i did, but i'm afraid i still didn't finished. It's like centepede hard... but very well made, love the details, specially the different color circumferences on the saws.

Looking foward for "normal" levels by you.

FBI Light Rock likes this.
  18. Vicvic91

Wow ! Portal 2 with Glados !
    It's amazing !!!

19. FBI Light Rock

Oh gosh! Omega is HARD! But really nice level too. Wanted to rate it 5 stars but I don't want too many levels in my favourites section.

Heh, but I nerfed the difficulty several times based on feedback by Vicvic. Should be easier now, but still very hard...:mrgreen:

Actually the color circumferences on the saws (and gears too) was a borrowed idea. Once I write the reflection on the saw zone, I will write it in detail. The idea came from another great (but quite frustrating) level called Mercurion by Sinistrium, who made another awesome but rather hard level named Qwarxe.

My personal favourites for my own level Armed are the Construction Zone, Bird Zone, Hamster Zone & the NEW Zone. Will tease it soon...

20. FBI Light Rock

Who wants to play Power 21? :) Well, unfortunately Power Slots is simply just a decoration and you can't play it...

Hit the button to decide your fate for the zone after this...
    image.jpg

Hint: Pressing the button will decide the orientation of your armed system for the next zone...

Vicvic91 likes this.