Promote Your Levels Here!

Discussion in 'FROGMIND'S CHOICE & CONTESTS' started by Vicvic91, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Pizzaandy

Pizzaandy Elite Member Beta tester

Do you not like clones when they're alive? Then try out "Titanium Shot"!
    http://level.badlandgame.com/bttc/FdORGEa9yr

Some challenges to accompany:
    • Save 90 clones:mrgreen:
    • Save 130 clones (132 if you want to beat my personal best)o_O
    • Hit the mine and save 30 clones:eek:
    • Survive without shrinking:(
    • Save less than 10 clones :angry:
    • Save less than 5 clones :smilingimp:

Vicvic91 likes this.
  2. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

And...THIS IS IT! The SUPPOSED Final version of Hexangonal #VFC is online! This is the second and final background update. There are a few miscellaneous changes which shouldn't affect gameplay.
    EDIT: Vicvic has pointed out a few bugs, so I'll be attempting to fix them. Hopefully more don't come!

Full changes:
    - By looking at the new and final screenshot, it is obvious that Hexangonal's highlight mechanism has a new very cool background! At the bottom right hand corner is an egg that slowly lights up as you press the 3 buttons in the mechanism.
    - The camera now cuts at the highlight Hexangonal mechanism instead of continuing to follow you, to nicely center the cool background with the mechanism! Now that's how you get that level screenshot! :mrgreen:
    - The rotating button mechanism (one of Vicvic's favorites :mrgreen:) also features a light on the ball socket joint which slowly lights up as the 4 buttons are pressed. Activating the 2 arrow mechanisms causes this light to flash while they are moving!
    - The backgroun pointy spikes before the buttom mechanism is shifted a little to space them nicely.
    - New detail added at the start of the speedrun after the mechanical worm rises. There is a creature holding a seemingly innocent lily pad. But after the worm rises, it reveals itself as a transmitter - this frightens the other creature which expands his eyes briefly, jumps in fright and retreats into the tree. The poor creature holding has no idea and isn't affected...
    - MisterM's speedrun section has a more simple background, in part because I don't know what to do. :( Droplets drip from above (supposedly matches the spawner) and a pipe and a hexangonal core wobble matching the wobbling hexangonal shape in the foreground.
    - 2 new creatures added to the background of the mechanical forest! A mini spider and a cool adventurous guy standing in the ropes. And STILL, unfortunately, the eyes of the caterpillars and the evil guy don't work even after I tried to fix it (yeah, it's fixed in the editor for me). :mad: Fixed. FINALLY. :)
    - The final split path now features space stations with antennas. And a sad bear is staring into the mechanical forest taken over by the machines...or maybe he is sad because he's lonely?
    - The credits is this update's most worked upon feature: A character is assigned to everyone credited here. I hope I made a good enough character for all the contributors! To admit, I'm not the most pleased with the individual contributors, but it's the best I could make... :( The creatures rise to take the spotlight (a small bit of them can be seen before that) after the spotlight fully turns on. Turning on the next spotlight switches off the previous one, but the characters stay on screen.
    - Escape the place as soon as a clone enters the exit pipe! That volcano is erupting! And you won't be surprised who caused it...
    - Slight aesthetic changes to the very beginning part to make it look a little better.
    EDIT: Also fixed the bug where the last saw in the flap of faith may suddenly get stuck. And the machine hit sound at the crushing hexagons is better in sync with the movements of the hexagons.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    MisterM and Vicvic91 like this.
  3. Pizzaandy

Hexagonal seems like such a nice in-depth level! I'd like to play it!
    Unfortunately, none of my devices are capable of handling this level as they are potatoes/ and or toasters...:(

4. FBI Light Rock

Admittedly, Hexangonal is optimized for maximum appearance, at the sacrifice of performance. :(

Even on my device (Samsung Note 3), the level does lag considerably, especially in the editor. I spent quite a fair bit of time while designing this level waiting for my phone to process my next action, especially when undoing actions.

So far the worst laggy part is the flap of faith to before the crushing hexagons. If your device can handle this mess, then the rest of the level should be fine. (The lag is likely because of the fast and very quick collisions of the wheel with its compartment walls, which is what produces the very cool sound effect when making the flap of faith, and the turning on of the movements of the many crushing hexagons)

In which part of the level do your devices give up on you, @Pizzaandy?

5. Pizzaandy

The device at no point "gives up" per se, it just runs slowly.
    Literally the whole level is super slow, even the beginning. If my device can't handle that first part, I don't think it can handle the rest of it...
    Occasionally, when I play a cool level that's slow on my device, I open it to see if I can optimize it. I haven't succeeded with a single level without taking out major elements. Here's what makes levels slow, as I see it:
    • Lots of "curve" variables
    • Using objects to fill space without "hit nothing"
    • Particles in the background
    • Too many objects on the screen at once
    • Lots of joints
    • Slowing down the time factor (I don't know if your level does this, but many slow levels add this to mask the lag)
    I think the node logic system in editor could be optimized a bit, as I believe they act as independent objects in the game world (turn on debug to see everything).

Welp, you read through all that. Congrats !

6. FBI Light Rock

I believe the problem with most variables is by default, they are all Kept Alive. I tried to disable this property for my first level Armed; it didn't show very much performance improvements. It won't stop me from trying again, though. :) Especially when Hexangonal has a lot of changing variables, although most of them are not active at first.

There are some parts in Hexangonal where I had to manage collisions for certain objects very carefully, so yes, there are objects with different collision properties. This is however, going to be very hard to manage now given the sheer size of my level...

Too many PHYSICAL objects is definitely a problem.

Could be a problem for me, but I guess it can't be helped...:(

It would be make things too easy, and right now the difficulty on Hexangonal I feel, based on the ratings is just right.

I think one of the main problems could be there is too much logic in my level. I imagine that the way they are processed is one after the other, and not quite simultaneously due to the fact they forward to each other.

Well, I do actually read through everything :), because it helps me improve my levels. I think it's similarly important for game devs to read every feedback they receive.

7. FBI Light Rock

Ok guys, I uploaded yet another version of Hexangonal #VFC into the Level World! This will probably be the last if not second last update to Hexangonal, depending on the stability of the level. @Pizzaandy, try this update out and see if it works better for your devices. :) *Fingers crossed* :confused_02:

Full changes are as follows:
    - Attempted to mitigate the lagging issues by making many out - of - bounds objects Hit Nothing (thus making them simply fillers), replacing some objects with simply fillers, & turning off Keep Alive for certain variables and events
    - The last split path now uses a different way to disperse the Hexangonal shape, with very cool pipe glow effects to accompany it. Don't touch the lava hot red pipes! This should stop weird triangles from flying into the credits area.
    - The Start features a rapid moving pump. Oh, and most of the objects at the Start and Finish Hit Nothing.
    - The pitch of the Electric sound in the mechanical forest has been increased so that you can still hear it with a bit of time slowdown. The saw sound has been made duller to bring out the Electric sound more.
    - If you avoid the visible green trigger area at the credits at Frogmind's turn, the cannon will no longer fire!
    - A more peaceful alternate way to end the level is added! Hint: If you don't make someone angry, then the volcano will not be angry too...

Because of making certain objects Hit Nothing, the level may appear a little weird when you enter some places where I think you shouldn't be able to go to. I made quite careful considerations before tagging the objects, but I may not tag them correctly due to the sheer amount of objects in Hexangonal. Also, if anyone spots something that was working previously now malfunctioning, please tell me as it may be because of this!

On my side, I seem to experience slightly better performance. How about you guys? :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  8. FBI Light Rock

Hey guys, frequent updates for Hexangonal #VFC are rolling out, so another one is here!

This one is a pretty minor update, which includes:
    - Attempted fix for the mine not exploding in the first split path in the speedrun
    - The wobbling hexagon in MisterM's speedrun section is completely sealed off to prevent freak accidents. :mrgreen:
    - The Falling Saws section sees an aesthetic update. I never quite liked some of the previous designs anyway...I think it looks better now.

9. Pizzaandy

Why fly through tight spaces alone when you can have a robot buddy to push you into saws?
    Introducing the update to Bumper Bots, "Duplicants"!

FBI Light Rock and Vicvic91 like this.
  10. FBI Light Rock

Thank you so much, @Pizzaandy, now I officially hate those duplicants, lol. :mrgreen:

Jk, I loved this level a lot! It's fun to play around wirh those duplicants. (Not so much when they are pushing me to the saws though :mrgreen:) However, just a bit of feedback:
    - Design wise, it's a bit weird. Especially the ones involving the very thin mechanical spikes. I loved the design where time is frozen though, those duplicants trapped in the turret mess and the landscape collapsing. Serves them right! :mrgreen:
    - The duplicants who use machine guns look weird, I think it better to give them a small machine gun head instead of the whole gun rotating around them.
    - The last part where the large saw duplicant chases you has too much shake, can you reduce that? It's very disturbing to my head and eyes...

Gameplay however, is perfect and absolutely fun! :)

11. FBI Light Rock

And...that's it! The VERY FINAL version of Hexangonal #VFC is online! So you guys now know why there were frequent updates over the past few days; I was busy preparing Hexangonal for Eternal Day!

This update only adds the additional creditation for Frogmind for pushing Hexangonal to Eternal Day. This is part of my thanks toward Frogmind for showing support for my levels! :)
    [​IMG]
    And now...as unwilling I am to finally leave this gem alone, it's time to move on to my next project. Or rather, finish up what I abandoned in order to work on this VFC project.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    MisterM and Vicvic91 like this.
  12. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

Hey @Hráč !

You can promote your level here if you want ! :)
    Just played it, some great ideas in there !
    I love your sacrifice balls with Small powerups in there, very cool !

Hráč likes this.
  13. Hráč

Hráč Active Member

Hey, please, play my new level Forest!
    Here are three misions:
    • Save 10+ clones
    • Survive with 2 tries
    • Collect all powerups (not the superclone powerups at the end)(they are 37/42, I think)
    Hope you enjoy!!!
    Thanks for playing.:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  14. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

CUBE MAN OFFICIAL Penguin Clony

I just created the guidelines for Pulsar. Three missions:
    • save 2+ clones
    • survive with 5 tries
    • survive with 3 (have not verified if possible, tell me if it is or not)
    I don't think they are too hard. Let me know if any of them are impossible.
    Enjoy Floating and enter the CCB contest!

15. Vavje

Vavje Clone Master Beta tester

Vicvic91 likes this.
  16. Pizzaandy

Thanks to @Baksbrown and his awesome BL2 Quad remake, I had to make one!
    I've created the level "Dropbox" which is a gauntlet of various traps in the Frozen level set.

Don't look at the crushers too much! They're not buggy!

Sheepy and Baksbrown like this.
  17. Vicvic91

Very cool level !
    Some difficult part, but nothing impossible. Your octopus looks so alive, it's amazing ! :)

18. Vicvic91

Thanks, it's a better level than your last one, ahah ! :p

19. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

BUTTON RUSH:
    • press 3+ buttons:)
    • press exactly 6 buttons:confused_02:
    • press 10+ buttons:mad:
    Enjoy!

20. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

Another mission: 14+ buttons!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: