CAVE

Discussion in 'LEVEL EDITOR' started by CUBE MAN OFFICIAL, Apr 18, 2016.

1. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

CUBE MAN OFFICIAL Penguin Clony

I'm working on CAVE. It's going to be an innovative(or in my old days, experimental) level. SPOILER ALERT: It's about this clone that drops into an abandoned mine. So far I have added:

• A suddenly activating laser plane
    • A strange cave beast
    • Chains
    • A strange chaser that manipulates gravity to charge straight at you.
    • Awesome first layer backgrounds.

I plan on adding a mine cart. (what do you think?)

Any other ideas?

i will add credit.

2. 18111398

18111398 Elite Member

Sorry but what do you mean 'a suddenly activating laser plane'? An aeroplane with a laser which (the aeroplane) is activated immediately by a signal?
    And how does the minecart work?

Hráč likes this.
  3. MisterM

MisterM Elite Member

crystals?

4. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

The minecart will be triggered by a signal that will activate physics on. The laser plane is activated by a trigger, yes you got it right.

18111398 likes this.
  5. Pizzaandy

Pizzaandy Elite Member Beta tester

How about an escape scene where you control the minecart and the cave starts exploding behind you?
    A new control mechanic in general?
    Light puzzles? (Press switch, get lamp)
    Rock monsters?
    Chain snake? (Ordinary chain turns out to be a snake)
    Mineral in mine that has special abilities?
    Water?
    Jelly objects?
    Automining robots that barrel towards your clone destroying things on the way?
    Stalactite/stalagmite puzzles? (Reversing gravity makes water drips go up or down, changing slagmite size)
    *whew*
    </ideabarf>

6. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

Sorry but some of those are just not feasible for me. But some of them i can do. THanks!

7. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

In my dreams, I imagine a fresh new auto-level :
    . Clony is on a wagon, with an autoway without any move possibility
    . You don't control Clony, just the mechanism on the way : there is some zone to "active" if you want to make a safe way (the road appears, a killing saw go up to let you pass), some others you don't have to "active" (a saw that already is up to a safe way : if you activate it you push it on the way) etc... :)

8. 18111398

18111398 Elite Member

Wow, more likely to be a Puzzle & Adventure game! Unfortunately hard to be done with 1-key control...

9. Vicvic91

I think can be possible, if the only action you can have is to activate/desactivate triggers... maybe like the gravity system in Antigravity, or something else...
    It's a level for @FBI Light Rock or @333mmcc makers ! Ahah :)

10. 18111398

18111398 Elite Member

Actually I have problem in making complex mechanics.
    I once made a program with 20+ values, 20+ triggers and 100+ lines, and then when I tested, it didn't work as I expected, but I could't find what's wrong with my program! Then I 'changed' a value by tapping the plus button once and the minus buttom once, changing it back to the original value. And then I tested it again, and it worked! I just didn't know what happened, it's exactly the same program!
    And in the latest version the icon covers the value it's holding, making debugging quite harder. I enjoy meeting challenges when playing levels, but don't when creating levels.
    (Or mine is still not up to date?)

11. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

On the contrary, I actually LOVE making complex mechanics! :mrgreen: When it finally works, you'll be SO satisfied. :) I don't know about you; it could be just me and my obsession with programming (I'm about to pursue computer studies soon). :mrgreen:

Have you tried opening my level Hexangonal #VFC in the level editor before? It features a lot of unique logic never used before by anyone! Try opening levels by @333mmcc in the level editor as well, he used a lot of unique logic systems never used by anyone else before as well!

Point is, the level editor features a very wide range of basic functions for you to use, so using these basic functions, you can build upon them to make more complex functions for millions of possibilities! Don't be afraid to challenge the limits of the editor! :)

12. 18111398

18111398 Elite Member

I enjoy too, but it seems that the editor itself has problem running complex mechanics... Just as I mentioned above, I created exactly the same program and it should work fine, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
    Or maybe I'm not skillful enough to build a complex program. Really appreciate you FBI Light Rock and 333mmcc, making so many unique mechanics with no flaw
    [EDIT]
    Btw my attempt is to display an exact number of one value in the level, so I made so many objects and actually it's repetitive.

13. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

umm... this is supposed to be hard...

14. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

I'm a kid so I don't know much of these. Curves I use with flashing lasers, numbers I use for my cars, I know the function of that ruler thingy but I dont know much :(

15. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

PS: I have done a rock monster. It's similar to my Vmc but much different. I plan to have eyes on it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  16. Vicvic91

Hey Cube Man, do you already watched @Miikka videos ?
    He maked some great tutorials to understand how to use the Level Editor :)

17. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

Hmm...I have to admit it's true sometimes. But usually when that happens I try a different approach to achieve theoretically the same result. For example I tried to deactivate an event that is part of a chain of logic given a certain condition, and it seems that it doesn't seem to work evident from a video of my level I watched, but works on my end.

I believe some great level makers like @Sheepy has encountered some strange problems when the logic would theoretically work, but in practice, the result seems to differ when uploaded in the level world and playing in the level editor locally (when you open it up in level editor after completing it online).

Believe me though, I have mechanisms that don't work properly all the time. Take for example the 3 split paths in Hexangonal in Eternal Day when it first got featured. Replays screwed up at the 2nd split path when the result returned became different, and this forced me to change to a different system. At least Vicvic helped me upload my fixed version afterwards. :)

Just curious though, what's your mechanism? Can you upload it to the level world? I would like to take a look at it. :)

18. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

Actually, I learned most of the editor myself. My dad is watching them because he wants to learn. You can see how gradually I learned how to use the editor with my old levels.

19. Vicvic91

Your dad play Badland too ?

He need to come to talk with us here, eheh :)

20. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

He is learning, but it'll take some time:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: