Turning particles on/off

Discussion in 'LEVEL EDITOR' started by Corran, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Corran

Corran Well-Known Member

I have figured out how to turn them on and off, but I would like to know how to have them be off when the level starts. Is this possible?

(Given me, this is probably super simple and I just am so blind that I can't figure it out.)

2. Estralier

Estralier Member

I'm not sure about this, but you can propably connect them to visibility on/off event that is active and doesn't require signal (and set "run logic in start" to true)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    CUBE MAN OFFICIAL likes this.
  3. Corran

Corran Well-Known Member

The visibility events refuses to have anything to do with the particle.

It won't connect.

4. Estralier

Estralier Member

I edited it already to on-off event (and it works)

5. Corran

Corran Well-Known Member

I have tried the on/off event. What I want is for the particle to be off at the very start of the level. (At the start, before you move, I don't want it visible.)

6. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

You can put a trigger that turns off the particles before you get to that area. I did the same thing for Hexangonal (before the credits part). Just make sure the checkpoint is before you activate the trigger.

7. Corran

Corran Well-Known Member

I guess that that would work, however, the particles I'm using are going to be on the starting screen of the level. So this method would not work.

8. Estralier

Estralier Member

Particle can start being out of the screen, and than moved non-physically to specified location and than enabled.

9. Corran

Corran Well-Known Member

Can't attach the move event to a particle...

10. Estralier

Estralier Member

So, there's the solution that I've just tested and it must work:
    Create any small object (obstacle), and place it out of screen edge (upper/lower), and in front of player (far enough to not be seen before it'll have to activate)
    Add particle linked to the small object (particle has to be placed in same x axis as the object, and in y axis that you want it to be when "enabled") and move event moving this object
    When needed, move event will be able to move the object (make sure you move it only in x axis) to the specified location, and particle will automatically folow the object (the object will stay out of upper/lower edge, so it won't be a problem, and particle will be on set y axis (same as the one that you set previously by placing particle on specified height)

Corran likes this.
  11. Vavje

Vavje Clone Master Beta tester

Hi @Corran
    I'm actually testing a sequential particule, with an off state at start.
    I published this test if you want to check out. Level name : particule test.
    Here's the direct link. Hope it will help you. Please, let me know :
    http://level.badlandgame.com/bttc/5YRsGl5O4v

12. Corran

Corran Well-Known Member

This is a much less complicated version of what I have. However, the particle is still turned on when you start. What I would like is for it to be non visible at the very start - before you touch the screen.

13. Corran

Corran Well-Known Member

@Estralier I tried your suggestion, it didn't really work. Could you give an example?

P.S. I did make a cool spinny particle thing, though. :)

14. Vavje

Vavje Clone Master Beta tester

Yes, at start, the particule shine a brief moment till the trigger set it off. I think we can't avoid it.
    Unless... I updated "particule test". I followed @Estralier suggestion : a small object hidden out of screen edge is a really good idea.
    It works. Try it :
    http://level.badlandgame.com/bttc/5YRsGl5O4v

Corran likes this.
  15. Corran

Corran Well-Known Member

Thanks tons guys! I must have been doing something wrong with the movement, it wouldn't work. This does though!

Vavje likes this.