Frogmind enters into long-term partnership with Supercell

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSION' started by Vicvic91, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

"Hi all !

I am extremely happy to announce that Frogmind has entered into a long-term partnership with Supercell!

A bit of background before going into the details of the co-operation: Frogmind was founded in 2012 with a simple goal – to develop the best games in the whole world. In April 2013 we launched our first game, BADLAND. It has been loved by both the players (45M+ of them!) and the critics and has also been financially very successful for a premium mobile game.

With BADLAND’s success, we decided to start growing our independent studio so that we could do more things at once. We grew slowly as we hired only the top talent. We wanted our team to consist of people who can work independently and we wanted to keep a flat hierarchy. With our growing team, we were able to keep updating BADLAND with new content and features, bring it onto new platforms and develop and eventually launch BADLAND 2 for the Christmas of 2015.

However, that wasn’t the entire plan we devised after the first BADLAND. We also started exploring the Free to Play model. We felt there was so much room for value and innovation there. And the direction where the market was headed was pretty clear. We started prototyping F2P game concepts parallel to working on BADLAND 2.

Changing from the premium game mindset to F2P is not the easiest thing, but after an educational one and half years of killed prototypes we found something we felt really good about. And not just one thing, we began production of three new games! We are very proud of them and can’t wait to launch them next year!

This all leads to our new partnership with Supercell. They liked our new upcoming games and the teams behind them, and we have the utmost respect for them and their gameplay, production values and elegance in solving difficult design challenges. Partnering with the world’s top mobile developer, we can get help and information no one else knows better. And with the Supercell’s backing, we can think much more long term and be more ambitious with our games than ever. This is an ideal partnership that will greatly benefit our future games and players.

We will continue to operate completely independently as Frogmind, publish our own games and get to decide what games to make and how. It’s very similar to the way Supercell has operated under SoftBank and now under Tencent. We’ll be able to focus fully onto our games, worry less about finances and continue being an awesome place to work for our employees. Supercell also understands our culture and the way we make games. It’s actually very similar to theirs, having small talented independent teams with no middle management aiming to make the best games in the world. Like BADLAND which was initially made by the two of us, our new games are also being developed by small and effective teams of three to five people. Continuing to operate independently means also that our games will very much continue to be Frogmind games with their own unique DNA.

Finally, and importantly, because all our current and future employees still own 49% of Frogmind (Supercell owning 51%), we continue to feel strong ownership of our games and studio.

As we move to this next exciting phase of Frogmind, I feel this is a great opportunity to thank everyone who have helped us in our journey so far.

Huge thanks to all our players for all the support and feedback. You literally keep us going and empower us to ambitiously create new games.

Many thanks for the Finnish Funding Agency for Innovation – Tekes. Without you, a bootstrapped startup like us would have had much more difficult times on growing the studio.

I also want to personally thank the awesome Finnish game development scene for all the help we have received from so many of you. We truly have a unique and extremely valuable scene. Hyvä Suomi!

And last but not least, huge thanks to all our families at home. Without your loving support, making games would be so much harder.

I and the whole studio couldn’t be happier about the Supercell partnership. This is the beginning of an epic new chapter for Frogmind and our games!

Johannes Vuorinen
    CEO / Co-founder of Frogmind"

http://frogmind.com/frogmind-enters-into-long-term-partnership-with-supercell/

LianPiggy, 18111398, Vavje and 3 others like this.
  2. denisbadic

denisbadic Active Member

What style will the new game? Similar to badland?

3. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

Awesome news!! Looking forward to what comes from that...

clash of clans is amazing

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

CUBE MAN OFFICIAL Penguin Clony

Oh. Actually, my brother penguin always played Clash of Clans on a lost tablet. Lots of unused electronics here in Antartica- in addition to the dwindling glaciers.

5. Sheepy

Sheepy Well-Known Member

Supercell makes fine games, but I feel like all their (pay-to-win) games are almost the same in many ways... Clash of clans was basically the same as Boom Beach, and Clash Royale is basically clash of clans, but each player only has 3 buildings, and you can only place units on one side of the enemy. I just hope that Frogmind doesn't make another Supercell-esque pay-to-win game for its next release. We'll just have to see how Supercell's "understanding" of Frogmind's independence goes. The last part of that post seems very much like what you would write for an obituary for the company...

Sorry for being so cynical though

6. Pizzaandy

Pizzaandy Elite Member Beta tester

Upgrade your clony's wing power to level (12)! Only takes 10 hours!
    Not enough coins! Buy (1000) gem powerups?

(jk, i'm excited for frogmind's future)

7. InterludeDude

InterludeDude Elite Member Beta tester

I really hope Pooperce- uh, Supercell doesn't make everything pay to play.
    It's a bit suspicious SC owns 51% of Frogmind. Why not a 50/50?

P.S. I can manipulate what you say!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  8. Pizzaandy

Pizzaandy Elite Member Beta tester

Stated above was the fact that Frogmind still gets to operate independently!
    So yeah, the only freemium pay-to-play we'll have to deal with as of now is Android version Badland.

InterludeDude likes this.
  9. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

CUBE MAN OFFICIAL Penguin Clony

Manipulate what I say?

I'm not sure...

INTERLUDEDUDEISTHEBESTINTERLUDEDUDEISTHEBESTINTERLUDEDUDEISTHEBEST

10. Sheepy

Sheepy Well-Known Member

Well, there's no point in buying Frogmind if you don't get to contol what it does, and you can only control it if you have more that 50% of it

(Yes, yes. I know. "Independenty operated" and all that...)

11. InterludeDude

InterludeDude Elite Member Beta tester

Well, if SC owns 51%, if they, say, make each level pack a dollar, and Frogmind says no, and neither company backs off, by that logic, they could do that.