How to get more plays on your lvls

Discussion in 'LEVEL EDITOR' started by CUBE MAN OFFICIAL, May 10, 2016.

1. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

CUBE MAN OFFICIAL Penguin Clony

Yes, Frogminds Choice, but many good lvls don't even get recognized and often end up with less than 50 plays. This thread is for people who have a tough time publishing their levels and getting plays. I have a few ideas:

Republish your lvls:

If there is one way to do this, this is it. You republish your lvls in the Newest Section, hoping to get more plays and more ratings. It may lead to being in Top Rated, Un rated, EXTREME, or casual. I did this with Forgotten and I tell you, it works.

Always rate your levels five.

A five star rating looks better than a un rated level. You also need to go with the current ratings, making it a choice for Casual or EXTREME.

Eye catching Background

I'm a bit of an artist, and I know that a strange colored level will catch your eye out. When I see this, I think of a expert designer that makes good lvls. This has worked also. Make your levels with a strange and exciting back ground.

Do you not allow any of these? Any other suggestions??? :)

2. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

. Tweet about your level using #Badland with a screenshot and your level's link :
    Frogmind will always retweet it on @BadlandGame

. If you want to get a better chance to see your level in Frogmind Choice :
    Take care of the preview of your level (there is a lot of level published every day, and we can't play all of them, so we choose with the preview of each level)
    Also promote your level here in the forum !

Baksbrown likes this.
  3. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

I don't have a twitter account :(.

I do choose the best preview though.

4. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

Don't be afraid to go the extra mile to get that screenshot! Did you know that Hexangonal's final level screenshot was very very carefully taken? I even had to go through the entire 82m of madness to grab the screenshot as the shortcut won't pass by the highlight Hexangonal mechanism! I made sure to get the smallest clone size possible to shift the focus to the mechanism and background. Although not visible, all 3 clones are carefully placed such that they form a straight line resting on the bottom left spike, and their eyes even look to the centre of the mechanism! The triangles must have their edges touching the piston-like structure to highlight the flipping inside out of the hexangonal shape. The glow in the centre of the mechanism's background must be at its fullest, and the golden orange overall background glow must be at its minimum to highlight the forementioned glow.

I carefully positioned the clones there and left it for quite a long time before proceeding to complete the rest of the level to update it, making sure to have the perfect screenshot every time!

And also, try making some unique mechanisms or obstacles to make your level more memorable! You can even brag about them in social media! :mrgreen:

InterludeDude likes this.
  5. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

Hahaha! I don't have the time to do that, but I've carefully placed very scenic moments throughout the level.

6. Katie-Starfish

Katie-Starfish New Member

Hi, I am a fairly recent fan of Badland and have become completely hooked once I discovered the fantastic Level Editor! I have uploaded 18 levels as Katie-Starfish and was also wondering about how to get noticed lol ! Is there a way to "follow" a subscriber? I often play other users levels and wonder what else they have uploaded. My own levels tend to be all about how they look rather than difficult to negotiate although I am now trying to combine both of those elements! I try to have a good title to grab attention and also a good picture. Some recent ones are London Calling, Rainbow Warrior, Parklife, Major Tom, Stone Henge, Year of The Cat
    By the way, I think it's fantastic that Frogmind have shared this amazing tool with us! Love it.

7. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

You definetely have published a lot of levels. But not as much as I used to, all those good days when I published more than 1 lvl per day just to get in what's hot (like you.) Now I usually publish my main levels 1 to 2 times a month, with experimental levels between.

8. I don't understand how someone has the patience to do that...

I would probably do the lazy option and use one of the 'preselected' previews..

9. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

It paid off in the end. :) I just made one good level and it took off with occasional interference. Hexangonal was once in What's Hot, and is now in Frogmind's Choice, always among the top few in Top Rated, in Most Played (at the back though) and most importantly, it's also an official level in Eternal Day. Currently it has more than 13,000 plays too.

Every single small thing makes a difference to the success of your level. Quality over quantity. :)

10. 4522405DASH

4522405DASH Hypercloner

Thanks! I really needed it :)

CUBE MAN OFFICIAL likes this.
  11. InterludeDude

InterludeDude Elite Member Beta tester

Here's a trick if you want a cool backround:
    If you choose to use the color theme changer, you are not limited to one. If you want a really bright theme with opacity that's above 100 (let's say 225), you would set one color theme visual to 100, duplicate it twice, then change one's opacity to 25. You can also mix around different color themes to make a backround that really stands out!

12. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

I know about that.

13. CUBE MAN OFFICIAL

Lol! A little bit like exploiting a bug, right? But it works, and I'm so happy it works! I hope that unknown lvl creators will also use this thread to share their own awesome lvls with us.

14. Typhlosion

Typhlosion Well-Known Member

I have done all of these, except for tweeting because I don't do that, and my level is still getting less than 50 plays. The level I am talking about is my most recent level, Bloody SnowScape. It is ridiculously hard. Took me ove 400 times to beat it to publish it. And then the people who beat it, rate it terribly :(
    .https://badland.app.link/S1zi4ePmqG

15. 4522405DASH

4522405DASH Hypercloner

The people who beat it are probably just noobs who just straight-up skipped checkpoints and said that it was terribly easy. When I beat it though (I can't get past the clones!) I will rate it 5 saws cause a level like this really deserves to be in the "EXTREME" category. :)

Typhlosion likes this.
  16. Typhlosion

Typhlosion Well-Known Member

That comment has seriously made my day. Thank you. When you beat it, tell me. When I first uploaded it, it took over 400 times to beat it, so naturally I was irritated when it got bad ratings.

17. DrKomodo

DrKomodo Member

How can you choose your own screenshot for the thumbnail, besides the 3 that the level editor lets you choose from? Is there another section somewhere in the editor that lets you choose any screenshot from your created level?

Thanks for any help that you can provide, I'm new and I appreciate it a lot.

18. 4522405DASH

4522405DASH Hypercloner

You can watch your own replay and take a picture for your own thumbnail at the bit of the level where you want it to be. :)

19. DrKomodo

DrKomodo Member

Thanks so much for that tip, I appreciate it a lot :grinning:

4522405DASH likes this.