Promoting The Badland Forums

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSION' started by Ben Thumbs, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Ben Thumbs

Ben Thumbs Clone Master Moderator

Promoting The Badland Forums

I recently sent Frogmind an email and in it I asked them if they would be willing to help promote this place for us. They replied today to say and ask:

So what do you think is a good summary for what this place is and what we are about?

Keep in mind that for Twitter, once they include a picture and a link, there will only be around 90 characters remaining for the description.

2. Wheat1328

Wheat1328 Ultimate Survivor Moderator

I don't think it needs to be anything super detailed. For Twitter, something like:

"Check out the fan created Badland forum for helpful gameplay tips and to discuss the game! We think it's awesome!!"

Or something. I don't know. No idea how many characters that is either. :)

3. Ben Thumbs

That's great and it fits in nicely if I cut it down to:

Check out the fan created Badland forum for helpful gameplay tips & to discuss the game!

How about something longer for their FB post? I was thinking something that included that we've got a number of the top level guys on board, who can help / offer advice for any levels and that it's also a good place to vent your frustrations etc. :lol:

Any idea what happened to grandmort? I'd like to see if he can do an ASAP graphics job for this but he's been even more AWOL than me recently.

4. Ben Thumbs

If you do happen to check in here grandmort, if possible can you knock up the following ASAP:
    - A new standard forum banner the same as the other Red-Eye banner but that includes the 4 clones from Matt33's screenshot. I think the size was 930 x 200.
    - The same banner as above but that includes http://www.badland.gamerz.co to be used in the forum promotions by Frogmind.

Here's Matt33's shot.

[​IMG]

If that's too low res or doesn't patch in for whatever reason, just the standard 1 clone past the eye with the link is OK.

Hopefully you see this and get back to me in the next 48hrs, otherwise I'll just paint in the link to the existing banner.

Cheers.

5. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

You guys really like the red eye? I think it's kind of creepy. :P

I have an idea though for a cover. Did you check out the FB page for BADLAND? The cover photo is quite nice. Of course we're not going to blantantly copy it, but I really like the towers and the more realistic laser beam.

To be frank, I'm not quite a fan of the current cover photo here, because it really looks like a "smacked-on" image since it doesn't feel very dynamic. And I'll be frank that the slow power-up ruins the picture quite a bit. I suggest integrating the forum logo into the foreground seemlessly, like making it seem like part of the landscape. So we could either have the laser pass in front and behind of it, as well as have one or two clones resting on the logo.

What I said sounds quite exciting, but it's going to need a lot of work through photoshop...and I'm not sure whether it's entirely achievable...

6. Wheat1328

I get what you're saying but I like what we have. I'm sure there's better way's of doing things but I have not idea how to do it. There's a reason these two guys have made millions on their game.... ;)

As far as the 4 clones in the eye, I think for a fan site it fits very well. It's probably the most epic moment in the game and there's only one person (that we know of - Matt33) that has achieved that screen shot. And that it's one of the "fans" on the Badland "fan site" seems fitting.

Just my two cents. :)

7. FBI Light Rock

Well ultimately you guys are the boss around here; I'm just merely writing out my own thoughts about stuff. The decision ultimately lies with you guys and I'll just accept the stuff you guys do. :)

8. Wheat1328

Don't take my response the wrong way, I was just doing the same (i.e. "writing out my own thoughts about stuff"). ;)

I think it's great input and the kind of input that will help improve the site!!

9. Wheat1328

Hey BADLANDERS! We wanted to let you know about a great fan site that's been put together recently by a group of players. There's an abundance of information and it's a great place to meet some of the top players and obtain helpful tips to improve.

How about that Lunartic? Seems like it could use more info but I'm not sure how wordy you want it.

10. Ben Thumbs

This was my thinking exactly! Good to have your input though FBI.

Looks like grandmort checked in here but didn't see this thread. Crap.
    Um I'll guess I'll just have to run with one of the other banners because garanteed if I run with the 1 clone - Red Eye banner we'll get people thinking "Meh, I've saved 2 so how good can that site be?!" :lol:

I was thinking one of these two with a personal preference for the one on the left:

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

11. Ben Thumbs

That's a good start thanks. I'm flat out today but will try to get something put all together to send to Frogmind tomorrow afternoon. That's about another ~30hrs away grandmort if you see this and wondering if you'll be able to work your banner magic in time. :D

12. Wheat1328

I'm partial to anything "night" :lol:

But you push the button so it's up to you. ;)

13. grandmort

grandmort Elite Member Moderator

I'm here, I'm reading through, I'll post soon (if not too late).

14. FBI Light Rock

I like the left one too! :D Have you ever thought of adding a few other smaller clones following behind? It gives a sense of community instead of like "I'm the boss here" :P

15. Ben Thumbs

Ideally you've got about 5 hours left GM.
    At a stretch I could hold off for another 12hrs until late tonight before I send the email through.

Hope you can make it because without a doubt what you can knock up will be a thousand times better than what I can hack together. :D

16. Ben Thumbs

OK the email has been sent, so we'll be sticking with this banner until the Frogmind stuff comes through.
    I was all set to go with the Night themed banner, but them FBI came along with another vote for the big clone banner and I switched it at the last minute.

I'd still love to see a 4 clones / red eye banner when you can though grandmort. :D

17. grandmort

grandmort Elite Member Moderator

Sorry for the delay Lunartic, I wasn't home until very, very late last night…

Anyway, here is the forum banner version "Matt33," it's a bit blurry because the original screenshot is not very high-res, if you guys provide me with a higher quality one I could enhance it eventually.

http://dobooksinteractive.com/badland/banner_forums_matt33.jpg

Cheers!

18. Ben Thumbs

That's OK mate, thanks for knocking it up.
    We'll leave the one as is until the Frogmind promotion runs it's course and switch it over in a few weeks.
    In the meantime, if Matt33 can send you the original full sized image you could fix it up to your standards before we go live with it.

19. Ben Thumbs

The Promotion post is up for this place on the official Badland Facebook Page. :mrgreen:
    Apparently they wanted a square image and so they knocked one up custom for it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Thanks Teemu!

20. Ben Thumbs

Here it is:

[​IMG]

They are going to follow up with the Twitter promo in a few days or so, to spread out the coverage a bit for us.