Some helpful Tips for Level Editor

Discussion in 'LEVEL EDITOR' started by Baksbrown, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Baksbrown

Baksbrown Hypercloner Beta tester

Hello there!
    Here I will describe a few tips that will help you when working with the editor. For those who want to achieve the maximum quality of their levels, these tips can be very useful.

AKAI2002 likes this.
  2. Baksbrown

Use fillers as rulers and stencils.
    Using fillers will allow you to achieve a clear and symmetrical arrangement of objects. It is worth paying attention to the ring filler.
    IMG_1843.PNG IMG_1846.PNG
    With its help you can create neat circular moving objects (for example, as in Self Destruct)
    IMG_1844.PNG
    IMG_1845.PNG

Typhlosion and AKAI2002 like this.
  3. Baksbrown

Use x-ray mode when you test your levels.
    Sometimes it becomes necessary to find out what happens between objects or one object within another directly while testing a level.
    IMG_1859.JPG tip_01.jpg
    In order to find out, select the objects you need, turn on X-ray mode and start testing the level.
    IMG_1850.PNG
    IMG_1851.PNG
    tip_02.jpg

AKAI2002 likes this.
  4. Baksbrown

Scale your screen (for iOs)
    Getting the most detailed work on certain objects is not always possible. For these purposes you can scale the screen of your device.
    IMG_20170916_125825_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170916_125836_HDR.jpg
    Use the triple click of the "home" button, having previously selected the "zoom" in the settings for this key combination.
    IMG_1856.PNG

ntrt and Vicvic91 like this.
  5. Baksbrown

Use filler with text to track the operation of variables.
    It is much easier to test the work of variables when you personally track their changes during testing. This will allow you to faster identify problems in the work of your constructions and fix them.
    IMG_1857.PNG

6. AKAI2002

AKAI2002 Clone Master

Sorry I didn't understand this:worried:
    Maybe because I don't know much about variables?

7. Baksbrown

Yes, maybe... You can watch again my last replay for example.
    It is really difficult to perceive. This requires knowledge in mathematics and experience with the editor.

8. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

Very interesting tips you have there, @Baksbrown! Very insightful for me as I actually never thought of exploiting such tools in such ways you mentioned. Keep it up, and look forward to many more of your insightful tips! :)

Pinning this so that people will definitely see it!

Baksbrown likes this.
  9. 4522405DASH

4522405DASH Hypercloner

Can people contribute for tips? I have a tip on how to move text visuals :) (arrows, squares, etc.)

10. Baksbrown

Why not? :)
    If you have something to say - do it.

AKAI2002 likes this.
  11. Pierre Miguel Gayo

Pierre Miguel Gayo Elite Member

Wondered how you can make triggers that trigger the background? You first hold the "trigger target" and open the layers button (while still holding the trigger target) then go to the layer you want to connect and connect the line that you are holding to the variable or to anything

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    AKAI2002 likes this.
  12. TompyGamer CZ

TompyGamer CZ New Member

Also, if you want to make an object to move physically, but not to rotate(like "keep upright" in garry's mod) you can connect it to a rotation joint, check "unattached", enable the limit, and set the limit numbers to 0