What kind of levels do you like? :)

Discussion in 'LEVEL EDITOR' started by FBI Light Rock, Sep 21, 2015.

1. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

After playing so many levels, those made officially by Frogmind , and so many other levels created by users, what kind of levels do you like to play?

Also, what kind of levels do you like to make? For example i seem to observe that Flamingjazz likes to make very haunted and dark levels.

For me, i like to play levels that make me have the "ah-ha" moment when you figure out how to get pass something in a very unique way, like Domino. As long as there is some new enough section that requires a different way to go past it, i like it. Not just pure dodging like a boring Flappy Bird game. I like levels with very unique properties too, for example Orbiting, Downtime or Antigravity. I would also go for the challenge too. I'm not quite in favor of dark levels, as i personally feel that it's more luck than skill. Also, i don't like to turn my brightness up and put a strain on my battery. :mrgreen:

As for making levels, i try to stick with the principles i layed out above. But in addition, i also try to make checkpoints very generous, such that a player won't get frustrated repeating the same sector over and over again. (So far a level without checkpoints is not on my to-do list) I also hope to incorporate clone saving elements that have a difficult to determine number of clones to save, more for us avid clone savers.:) Overall, i like to make levels that try its best to accomodate all players.

Note that i don't mind playing extreme levels (like War and Graveyard), but i won't probably make a one. I like to keep everyone happy.:)

2. Flamingjazz

Flamingjazz Hardcore Gamer Moderator

Actually, you're partially correct, but in reality, I like making levels that look visually cool. The darkness idea is something I stumbled upon with lost, and when you have a black background, with minimal images in it, it really brings out an awesome aspect of the game, perhaps under-utilized by most.
    I would make "happier" levels if I could develop an idea to revolve around. Plus if I could figure out the nature background.
    As for difficulty, well, I think levels that are difficult are fun, as long as they aren't extreme like some of <|-|!<0's.

3. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

I really like to play "different" levels, that have a new way to challenge me.
    "Darkness 3", "Time moves", and the recent Frogmind choice's "Poisoned" are on my top list.

When I make a level, I try to respect a checklist to make it as fun as I can.
    Here is my checklist :
    . make a level with 10+ "zones" : I try always to make different parts on my levels, trying to explore all the best way that I can take with my ideas
    . mix tricky zone and enigm zone : I think that to be replayed, my levels need to be tricky in parts so that you have to retry "zones" to save more clones; also I think they need to have enigm "zones", with a mecanism to resolve with logic
    . I love secrets, so I add a lot on my levels : secret buttons to active new zone, different way to play a level... all is possible to make it as a "labyrinth" to resolve
    . If I can, have a doomsday mode to unlock with traps and more clones to save :)

When I have all of this point on my level, I think that can be a cool level :)
    There is level that I can make with 5h (Framed/Sacrify), and others with 2 days (Antigravity/Light On/Weighing)...
    I take my time, ahah :)

4. FBI Light Rock

Sounds like you actually have around the same perception as I do, Vicvic. :)

Though I would prefer more enigm zones to cater to the general public. I think it's what most BADLAND players enjoy about BADLAND.

So far if I were to guess Antigravity and Light On were the longest proper levels (Discount the miscellaneous ones like Crashtest) to make for you. While I personally still enjoy them, one grip about these 2 levels is that zones don't particularly flow into each other, because each section has an almost entirely different concept. It's unlike Weighing, where the focus was really on the reversing gears and the weighing scales, something that recurred throughout the level, with just tweaks to make it feel different.

My new upcoming level is even worse, since there is quite a lot of blank space in-between zones (to allow yourself to orientate properly to use the right arm in the next zone), and yes, every zone is thought out separately.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! It'll definitely help me craft my future levels. :mrgreen:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Vicvic91 likes this.
  5. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

Every level I make I will give a unique game mechanic not in anyone else's that I've seen or in the full game.

Vicvic91 likes this.
  6. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

So...

Do you prefer levels with different zone ? (Antigravity, Light On)
    Or levels with an unique concept ? (Wheighing)
    :)

7. FBI Light Rock

I'll prefer one with different zones, although a neat recurring concept throughout the level is cool nevertheless. It's more of my personal preference to keep experiencing new challenges ahead.

Vicvic91 likes this.