[iOS] BADLAND 2 Thoughts?

Discussion in 'SUPPORT & SUGGESTIONS' started by FBI Light Rock, Dec 18, 2015.

1. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Techno Fury Moderator Beta tester

If you didn't already know, BADLAND 2 is now out on the App Store! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Go and get it now for $4.99! It was released just yesterday (17 Dec 15).

So...after playing through it, what do you think of it? Was it significantly better than the original?

Personally, I feel that this is completely worthy of a new game! When I first saw BADLAND 2, I was thinking; seriously, why not just pack it into the original? (To admit though, I felt that the game name could be a little better, but oh well, that didn't matter too much)

There was one thing I felt in the original BADLAND, and that is, the presence of a ceiling and a floor feels very restrictive. Now that this game is omnidirectional, it finally gets rid of that restrained feeling! It kinda mirrors what someone on TouchArcade said as well.

On to the levels themselves, they are HUGE! Almost every level felt as long as a Final Frontier! (Excludes some quick levels like Vertical Limit, Cloneferno, etc) Maybe I'm just going all over the place that it felt long, I dunno. :mrgreen: Gosh, one try sounds pretty impossible for most of these levels. :mrgreen:

The new obstacle that really caught my attention was the freeze beam. It's something I have not completely understood, but the way the levels use it is simply brilliant. I felt that freezing your only clone for a while to release the boulder to block the freeze beam to release your clone was one of the best used parts. *After a while, i felt that the black ooze was used rather cleverly. Releasing your clone from the sticky spike, forming bridges when time is frozen, and being a good hindrance when saving clones, this ooze is a nice addition! The flamethrower and the magma is deadly, like a laser on steriods. The volumetric burning light is kinda the same. I felt like these 2 obstacles was used in adequate ways, so not so bad there.

The machine gun was pretty frustrating, and I felt like it wasn't exactly very well used, other than using to simply kill clones (correct me if I'm wrong). It was used to clear the path too in Turre, but that was it.

The water was a bit underwhelming; I thought Clony would sink slowly, providing great underwater gameplay with "reduced gravity".

The new rolly clony (as I shall call him from now on :mrgreen:) gameplay was great, a lot was done with him. The fact that his cushions can be destroyed also makes things feel less dull, and keeping him in shape is key to a one try. I wonder when will there be a whole bunch of them at one time? :mrgreen: Sounds like fun. *With the new rolly clony, they removed the roller power ups, which does reduce the number of powerups, kinda sad when they didn't add any.

Words just can't express how excellent the graphics are. This is literally the best graphics I've ever seen in almost any mobile game. Volumetric lighting, blur effects, WOW! And of course, combined with the spectacular level design. And the flow of the game is much better: I really love how the last level of each level set transits to the first level of the next set. It feels different than the same exit pipe used.

I must say, I'm still trying to get used to 2 touch gameplay! But it's awesome when it gives rise to a limitless world! Going left and right feels awesome (and also less restrictive, unlike the original BADLAND). This also greatly enhances the way we can save clones: Rapidly tapping left and right will compact the clone fleet. *In speedrun levels, tapping left helps too! Especially in Supersonic.

Some of the levels are in fact races, but you won't know that on your first playthrough. This is actually a great idea, allowing you to explore these race levels freely without pressure from the ghost clones. Wait, ghost clones? Yes! On your second try onwards, you will race against preprogrammed clones, trying to outrun them. This new mode spices things up; you now have to speed run the level! The ghosts actually add interesting insights on how to shortcut certain parts (aside from being hilarious at certain times :mrgreen:), while you can also find new shortcuts yourself! Frogmind could very well make it a pure time trial, since the ghosts can never deviate off their paths, which I'm glad they didn't take this path!

In online mode, there are unique challenges to take on, which focuses and expands upon some of the obstacles used. This is nice, and from time to time, new challenges surface. This keeps the game fresh. One of the things I like is the speedrun levels takes just that part out of the long levels, making it a shorter digestable race. (Unlike the longer races which spans across the whole level as a mission) Oh, and you get to race against other people's ghosts too. :mrgreen:

Overall, BADLAND 2 is a significant notch above the original, and totally worthy of a totally new game. Gameplay itself is SO different with omnidirectional levels, and you feel like you suddenly get a lot more freedom to control your clones. The levels are very well designed; the puzzle element of how to get past an obstacle is there. Like its original, game type varies from speedrun to adventure. For the much better gameplay, HUGE levels that have HUGE content, together with stellar graphics, it is easily worth that $4.99. Oh those missions after you've done your first playthrough...they are hard enough to keep you occupied for long! It may be quite a price up from the original, but you won't regret paying for it.

Yes, the game sure lacks the fun multiplayer aspect of the original BADLAND that makes the original shine with all that sabotaging or cooperation. But with 2 touch controls, this will be hard to implement. It's not impossible, but we can only hope it will come soon. Meanwhile we have enough to contend with in single player: Come on, complete all those missions then come say about multiplayer! :mrgreen:

Now I hear you say about the lack of level editor. Ehm, seriously? In an omnidirectional world? I know serious level maker addicts can make at least decent levels, but that will take really long, and creating something this huge is too much for normal players. And let's face it but we've seen tons of subpar levels in the level world back in the original. I don't think we're ready to step it up. Not until we see better levels in the level world and definitely more official BADLAND 2 levels.

Just to end it off, in my personal experience, through the first run, I was gleefully cursing at the levels for being so evil to my clones. :mrgreen:

EDIT: After playing it a bit more, completing more missions, I have updated my review! :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    Baksbrown and Super zwerver like this.
  2. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

Agreed light rock, awesome review... i'm on the middle of inferno right now, and i must say some parts are really hard.

Looking forward to finishing the game and doing the missions, to finally invest on the clone saving, lots of potential this wolrd have.

I'm glad i wasn't a beta tester cause this was a nice surprise.

(Love the water part, always wanted that, and fishy didn;t quite got it.... now badland actually met Limbo, and rayman adventures. And surpassed it. the omnidirectional level really add something superlative there, hahaha.) (and including water, and water in solid level, just awesome) And wow, why not add fire?)

hehe

Frogs are flattered right now to be compared to this.

Super zwerver likes this.
  3. Vicvic91

Vicvic91 Administrator Staff Member Frogmind

Ahah, I want the frozen laser on the Editor of BL1 :p

barnadvisor likes this.
  4. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

I think at some point we'll probably have a BL2 Level Editor. At least, I really hope so.

barnadvisor and Vicvic91 like this.
  5. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

I think they should always be one step ahead of you guys peasants, hahahah!:mrgreen:

They will release their B2 editor when they are ready to launch Badland 3. rsrsrrs

Vicvic91 likes this.
  6. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

Badland has a one directional camera. Badland 2 has a two dimensional camera. Any guesses as to what Badland 3 might have in terms of dimensionality?

Super zwerver likes this.
  7. Vicvic91

Badland 3 with Oculus :)

8. FBI Light Rock

I'm gonna have a headache playing that lol, the detail then would be so stunning and the particle explosions would feel so real. But man, exploring Clony's world in virtual reality would be cool!

But how is the camera going to work? o_O Maybe we'll see a camera where it follows closely behind your clones?

9. ogster

ogster Elite Member

i just played badland 2. i have to say, the guys at frogmind outdid themselves! they really did a great job.

i think they new gameplay is great. although two touch controls isn't really a strong suit of mine, it does offer a very interesting (and very much welcome) challenge. i have put in a lot of hours playing badland and found a lot of success, if you may. but with this second coming, i don't think i'll be anywhere near the top guys. my head doesn't really work well with the new controls. i'm not complaining. i still think it's a great idea and it seems a natural and perfect change.

and opening up the place is fantastic! i find it a lot more interactive. lots more. i have a better feel of the place. i lose myself more. very exciting, but a little hard to get used to. the new obstacles are great too. i enjoyed my first run and will surely enjoy the next hundred runs just the same.

it's a worthy new game, separate from the original. it plays different. it looks different. it feels different. but still is badland, just better. a badderland.

oh. and i hate those races, but happy they're there.

<|-|!<0, Super zwerver and Vicvic91 like this.
  10. <|-|!<0

<|-|!<0 Dr. Doomsday

Lol, i hate those races as well. I'm not sure if i'm going to go for the missions, am having a lot more fun on the other levels, clone saving is awesome.

Hey, there is a new spreadsheet for Badland 2, put your scores there.

Although vicvic ripped the scores apart, it's still cool to participate, lol. Wonder how many clones ShiV would save, or B16DAZ.

Guess you were wrong on that one :mrgreen:

11. Vicvic91

image.jpeg
    Ok, now it's more challenging for you @<|-|!<0 @Straitorden ! :)

<|-|!<0 likes this.
  12. FBI Light Rock

Wawawhat the hell?! Ok, I give up. Lol. :mrgreen:

Nope, just kidding. I'll press on! That's the spirit of clone saviours! But hey, I've got some level design to do back at the original BADLAND, so will be hopping here and there. :)

13. ShiV

ShiV True Gamer

Grmmbll believe me I'm so anxious to play this, jealous ;P Still have to wait unfortunately, I would already be happy if the level editor would show up for Windows Phones as a first ;) Played a couple of levels from the Endless day at my Samsung galaxy SIII, wasn't really playable, still have to send in that oldtimer for repair. Really hope some form of update will appear to WP anytime soon, never stopped playing but it really has become stupidly hard to get some more clonesaves at 3550, believe my last increase was about 2.5 months ago :( Ahh well, all in good time.

14. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

I have an idea for future updates that I think would be feasible, and I also have a big to report. It would be really cool if there were split paths that triggered alternate camera routes that leave the main path entirely and act as shortcuts or ways to save more clones. I don't know for sure, but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. Also, I've noticed that the game doesn't seem to like it when you go to a checkpoint after at least one clone enters the pipe. It plays fine for 30 seconds, then it suddenly ends the level, regardless of where you are. It's really annoying for trying to save clones from the final checkpoint.

18111398 likes this.
  15. Jundeq

Jundeq New Member

When is the game coming to android??

16. MisterM

MisterM Elite Member

Oh dear, i cant wait for the badland 2 level editor and what it will bring! :D

18111398 likes this.
  17. Vicvic91

Plop ! :)

MisterM likes this.
  18. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

I can't tell if that's horrible or wonderful. Maybe both? Either way, pretty cool.

19. FBI Light Rock

That is totally awesome! I can't wait to experience this new insane gameplay! :) Looks like we're getting it very soon! (Read that they are finalizing the level pack now) Maybe just in time for me to finish up Hexangonal and get back to playing BADLAND 2!

20. Hj326

Hj326 Hypercloner

So, how soon do we get it? Also, it's nice to see that they're finally reincorporating the only thing they dropped from the first game.